Race for the Cure

Lane Morris

Thousands of people gathered at Downtown Miami to “Race for the Cure.”

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

On Saturday morning, Oct. 18, the 19th annual Susan G Komen Race for the Cure event was held at Bayfront Park in Downtown Miami. It was packed with thousands of people who came together to join the fight against breast cancer. This 5K not only helped raise money, but also raised awareness about breast cancer.

According to the Susan G Komen website, the organization is “the voice for the more than 3 million breast cancer survivors and those who love them, working to ensure that the fight against breast cancer is a priority among policymakers in Washington, D.C., and every Capitol across the country. ”

Cavalier families did not hesitate to attend the event. As a way to get the school involved, NHS offered hours for the members that gave a donation and helped.

“The Race for the Cure event is very empowering. I have gone every year as long as I can remember and it seems to only get bigger and better. Everyone who goes is so enthusiastic and more than happy to be there,” junior Eleanor Bauwens said.

Even though it was early in the morning, everyone seemed “pumped” and ready to run/walk. To show their support, the participants wore pink tutus, pink bathing suits, pink wigs, pink socks- basically everything pink.

“It was really nice to see such a large group of people come together for a good cause. The whole race was super happy and fun, and I’m glad I got to be a part of it,” sophomore Olivia Field said.

Besides increasing awareness, the Race for the Cure united those who were willing to make a difference. The presence of survivors, supporters, loved ones and many more, made for a very inspiring event. As we come closer and closer to finding a cure, make sure not to miss out on next year’s race!