Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s Recent Release From Prison

Joseph Abrahantes
With her disturbing case having left a mark on many back in 2015, Gypsy Rose Blanchard has been released from prison after having served 8 years, initializing a new period of her life.

After pleading guilty to second-degree murder of the killing of her mother in 2015, Gypsy Rose Blanchard has been let out of prison. On Dec. 28, after 8 years of serving time, Blanchard was officially released from the Chillicothe Correctional Center, two years off the 10 she was originally convicted to do.

Despite being a healthy child, her mother made many claims about Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s health that resulted in several diagnoses, doctor visits, surgeries and prescription drugs. Many believe Clauddine Blanchard suffered from the mental illness Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a form of child abuse where the caretaker of the child makes up symptoms or causes real symptoms to make it look like their child is sick. Clauddine Blanchard lied about both her daughter’s medical problems and age, changing the date on her birth certificate and insurance card to make her daughter legally “younger.” 

“Reading about Gypsy’s mom’s lies when the news first came out hit hard. Imagine finding out your whole life is built on complete lies. I mean, when you think about Gypsy what immediately comes to mind is how everything she ‘went through’ was fake, it was almost like her whole identity. The strength she has shown as she pushes on and almost rebrands herself is really impressive,” sophomore Lola Garcia-Jacques said.

On a Christian dating site, she met a romantic partner, Nicholas Godejohn, who asked to kill her mother so she would be free of the suffering and lies Gypsy Rose Blanchard was being put through. On June 9, 2015, the couple went through with the crime, as Godejohn stabbed Clauddine Blanchard, while her daughter waited. The couple ran off to Wisconsin but were eventually found and arrested by the police on June 15, 2005, each charged with murder. Later on, in July 2016, Blanchard pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 10 years in prison at the Chillicothe Correctional Center located in Missouri.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s early release on Dec. 28 was a result of the Missouri Department of Corrections’ decision to take Blanchard’s time in Greene County Jail, about a year in total prior to her pleading guilty, as well as parole, into account of her time served.

Since then, the now 32-year-old has been active on all types of social media, expressing her thoughts on Twitter, sharing pictures on Instagram and making videos on TikTok. Through these outlets, Gypsy Rose Blanchard has given the public an inside look on her life as she acclimates to living in the outside world. Having been interviewed by various news outlets, YouTubers, and talkshow hosts, Gypsy Rose Blanchard is making sure her voice is heard as she tries to make up for her years of silence in prison.

“I have definitely been enjoying seeing Gypsy online. I think we can all appreciate that she has been proactive when speaking out about her past and making things right. I have probably seen over five or six of her interviews and just her willingness to discuss the ins and outs of her case says something about her character. I guess it’s refreshing to see someone be transparent as they grow,” sophomore Genesis Javier said.

In a recent interview with Access Hollywood, Gypsy Rose Blanchard denied having watched “The Act“, one of many docuseries made about her past. She then explained her disinterest in reliving the experience, as she hopes to get this new era of her life under way. Many have acknowledged Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s willingness to move on from the past and thereby making the present more promising for the suffering that she once did. Aware of the nature of her actions back in 2015, she voiced regret for them on another interview where she proclaimed to have taken the “wrong way” out of her position.

Do you believe Gypsy Rose Blanchard's actions were justified?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s reappearance in the public eye has people talking, many openly stating their support for the survivor. For the most part, individuals have sympathized with Blanchard and her abusive past, asserting that her actions were, to a certain degree, justified. The situation has raised conversation concerning the intricate nature of criminal cases as well as the acceptance of individuals integrating back into society.

“I stand by Gypsy for sure. I am not sure if it’s about justifying actions more than it is about truly understanding her struggle. Her actions may seem extreme, but it’s important to acknowledge the pain she went through. Sometimes, people are pushed to the edge where they have no choice but to act, and understanding that is a step towards development,” junior Valentina Arango said.

As she makes her way through this new chapter of life, Gypsy Rose Blanchard aims to move forward from the spotlight that is her past, enabling herself to transform her experiences into what she hopes is good. For the time being, she will find comfort in common pleasures like going to concerts or pursuing hobbies. Gypsy Rose Blanchard has claimed she hopes that her story is being seen as a beacon of hope for a future characterized by development, resilience and the search for fulfillment.

“I never really showed interest in Gypsy’s case until recently, but seeing her enjoying life and not making her past all she talks about is heartwarming. Her social media is full of pictures of her family, husband, or just her everyday outings, and honestly that’s what’s most important: acknowledging her actions and keeping it moving to bigger and better things,” sophomore Sarah Fiallega said.