France’s President Macron Declares Abortion a Constitutional Right

Joseph Abrahantes
French women protested that abortion was their constitutional right, stating that they wanted freedom over their own bodies.

Though abortion had been a legal right for women in France since 1975, the positive vote by a majority of France’s parliament on March 8 confirmed it as a constitutional right. French President Emmanuel Macron acted on women’s cry for reproductive rights by implementing an amendment to the French Constitution, allowing all women to have access to an abortion.

“Women should be able to have rights over their own bodies, and France making this abortion amendment is definitely a step in the right direction. This could cause other countries to change their abortion laws and provide women with more freedoms,” senior Jan Gonzalez said.

In efforts to prevent the erosion of women’s reproductive rights from occurring in France, Macron promised that his country would not follow this same path, in a social media post on Oct. 29, 2023. He later gave a speech which assured French citizens that the right to an abortion would be protected, as he wanted them to remain equal. The newly added amendment stated a woman’s guaranteed freedom to have recourse to an abortion, making France the first country in the world to add a woman’s reproductive rights in its Constitution. 

“Abortion is such a controversial topic all across the world. It’s become a huge problem in the United States, and nobody can come to an agreement. I think France has made a great decision with this new amendment because it gives women power over their own body. Hopefully someday we will gain this freedom back in America,” sophomore Samantha Gonzalez said.

The abortion bill was proposed on March 4 by French lawmakers to guarantee a woman’s right to voluntarily terminate a pregnancy. It was approved in an 780-72 vote and following its passage, nearly the entire joint session rose in a long standing ovation.

“The abortion amendment is a remarkable step in women’s rights. Every woman now has access to an abortion if they choose to have one, and the decision whether to keep the pregnancy or not is left to them. Women deserve to have their own right to choose, and the new amendment is going to make such a difference all across France,” sophomore Cooper Piedra said.

Macron also announced after the vote that the amendment would be inscribed in the Constitution on March 8, as it is the International Women’s Day. He expressed his support for the abortion ruling, claiming that the vote reflected French pride and aimed to send a universal message.

“Abortion is healthcare, and women all across the world deserve to have access to it. It’s really amazing to see France make this change, and I know that it will create a positive impact on women all throughout the country,” sophomore Luna Gercek said.

Following the vote, the Eiffel Tower was lit up with the words “My body, my choice” as crowds surrounded the tower to cheer for the newly implemented amendment. The ceremony was held in central Paris and was open to the entirety of the French public.

Do you agree with France's new abortion amendment?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

While this ruling has received overwhelming support from most of the country, the strong Catholic tradition embedded in French culture did not support the abortion amendment. France’s Conference of Bishops called for a day of fasting and prayer in response to the legislation, expressing its disapproval. The Vatican also noted its opposition to the change in the Constitution, releasing a statement claiming their belief against abortion as they consider it to take a human life. 

“America should really take inspiration from what France has done. It’s obvious that women in the US are experiencing inequality because their right to abortion has been taken away from them. It’s really important that women fight for their reproductive rights and gain back their representation in the US government,” sophomore Orly Schoolman-Wood said.

Despite the backlash from religious authorities, the French citizens’ new right to have an abortion remains in place, with the purpose of prioritizing the health and safety of women throughout the country. Whether the US will remain a country divided on this topic or will pass a federal law protecting a woman’s right to choose remains to be seen.