Cavs Conquer The Miracle Walk and Down Syndrome 5K

Jesse Zambrano

Sophomore Christian Segurola dancing on stage.

Jesse Zambrano, Staff Writer

Cavaliers gathered outside Coral Gables City Hall bright and early on Sunday morning to take part in the Miracle Walk and Down Syndrome 5K hosted by the Down Syndrome Association of Miami. The 11th annual Miracle Walk commenced at nine a.m., after the culmination of the fourth annual 5K, which began at 6 a.m. Students from all over the city came to volunteer. Our Lady of Lourdes Academy, Immaculata La Salle, Mast Academy, Florida Christian and Coral Gables FBLA and AOF students joined the walk and helped the event run smoothly.

To be able to run the 5K and partake in the walk, fees ranging from 20-40 dollars were required.  All donations and profits go to the Down Syndrome Association, a non-profit charitable organization based in Miami-Dade which provides support and services to individuals with Down Syndrome. One of their missions is to raise awareness about those who live with the disorder; this event is one of their largest and most successful ways of doing so.

“Attending the event was a priceless experience, one that makes you feel like a better person for just contributing to the atmosphere. In an age where human love towards one another tends to be rare and difficult to come by, Sunday morning was truly extraordinary,” sophomore Christian Segurola said.

Before the walk began, a quick award ceremony took place to celebrate those who had placed in the 5K, with Coral Gables High’s very own Mr. Paz serving as master of ceremony. After the medals and honorary mentions were given out, the walk around the Biltmore Way began. The walk served as an eye-opener for many who had never spent much time with a person who has a form of Down Syndrome. Many children walked the event, and some even ran the 5K too.

“The Down Syndrome Association of Miami outdid themselves. From the music to the food, and pleasurable vibe, it was an event that was worth attending and taking part in. I will definitely be coming back next year, and who knows, I might even run the 5K.” junior Audrey Weigel said.

Coral Gables’ very own Gablettes performed, along with other dance groups after the Miracle walk. The Gablettes could also be seen cheering as the walkers approached the finish line. As the day came to an end, volunteers danced with the children on stage, enjoying the final moments of the day.

• Children dancing on stage.

• Sophomore Christian Segurola dancing.

• AOF Board members and FBLA Board members pose for a quick photo.

• Academy of Finance students at the event.