Cavs Conquer The Miracle Walk and Down Syndrome 5K

Sophomore Christian Segurola dancing on stage.

Jesse Zambrano

Jesse Zambrano

Jesse Zambrano, Staff Writer

Cavaliers gathered outside Coral Gables City Hall bright and early on Sunday morning to take part in the Miracle Walk and Down Syndrome 5K hosted by the Down Syndrome Association of Miami. The 11th annual Miracle Walk commenced at nine a.m., after the culmination of the fourth annual 5K, which began at 6 a.m. Students from all over the city came to volunteer. Our Lady of Lourdes Academy, Immaculata La Salle, Mast Academy, Florida Christian and Coral Gables FBLA and AOF students joined the walk and helped the event run smoothly.

To be able to run the 5K and partake in the walk, fees ranging from 20-40 dollars were required.  All donations and profits go to the Down Syndrome Association, a non-profit charitable organization based in Miami-Dade which provides support and services to individuals with Down Syndrome. One of their missions is to raise awareness about those who live with the disorder; this event is one of their largest and most successful ways of doing so.

“Attending the event was a priceless experience, one that makes you feel like a better person for just contributing to the atmosphere. In an age where human love towards one another tends to be rare and difficult to come by, Sunday morning was truly extraordinary,” sophomore Christian Segurola said.

Before the walk began, a quick award ceremony took place to celebrate those who had placed in the 5K, with Coral Gables High’s very own Mr. Paz serving as master of ceremony. After the medals and honorary mentions were given out, the walk around the Biltmore Way began. The walk served as an eye-opener for many who had never spent much time with a person who has a form of Down Syndrome. Many children walked the event, and some even ran the 5K too.

“The Down Syndrome Association of Miami outdid themselves. From the music to the food, and pleasurable vibe, it was an event that was worth attending and taking part in. I will definitely be coming back next year, and who knows, I might even run the 5K.” junior Audrey Weigel said.

Coral Gables’ very own Gablettes performed, along with other dance groups after the Miracle walk. The Gablettes could also be seen cheering as the walkers approached the finish line. As the day came to an end, volunteers danced with the children on stage, enjoying the final moments of the day.

Nicole de Barrios
Children dancing on stage.

Jesse Zambrano, Spotlights Editor

Jesse Zambrano is a junior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. When she arrived to the US, it was clear to Zambrano how important it was to emerge herself into a new culture and its customs. She quickly picked up the English language allowing herself to better understand her classes and school work. After she began to master the language, Zambrano quickly rose to the top of her class and did not stop there. In high school, she began to join clubs and sports while staying on top of her school workload. She is currently Vice-President of the IB Honor Society, Treasurer of her Junior Class Board and Junior Representative for Key Club among other things. However, her passion for writing brought her to CavsConnect where she will continue to work on the staff as Spotlights Editor. She is greatly looking forward to continuing balancing her academic life and extracurricular activities as her high school years progress. Zambrano has learned she enjoys being involved and claims it to be the highlight of some of her days. She loves lending a helping hand wherever it is needed as she takes pride in always being kind, compassionate and helpful.