Recap: April 6-April 12

www.cnn.com

Recap: April 6-April 12

Daniela Quijano, Editor

International Affairs

Yazidi, a Kurdish religious community in Northern Iraq, was overtaken by ISIS the past summer. People were killed, captured and displaced. Most of the people released were women and children who were sent to the Kurdish region capital.

The Seventh Summit of the Americas was characterized by the tension between Venezuela, Cuba and the United States. Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro accused the U.S. “of trying to topple his government and banned former President George Bush, former Vice President Dick Cheney, and Senators Bob Menendez and Marco Rubio from entering Venezuela.”.” Later, President Obama issued an executive sanctioning seven Venezuelan officials for human rights violations and saying the country was a “threat to national security.”

Students in a South African university demanded that the statue of Cecil Rhodes be removed because “his legacy is tainted with racism.”

“A small boat carrying about 50 migrants left from the area of Le Borgne, west of Cap-Haitien Wednesday, It got caught in bad weather on its way to Turks and Caicos”. “The vessel hit a reef and sank , 12 people were rescued.”

“ISIS fighters seized several districts in the Iraqi city of Ramadi in an hours-long assault Friday that included suicide and car bombs”.”Located about 70 miles (110 kilometers) west of Baghdad, Ramadi has seen intense and persistent fighting for months.”

The leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, Mohamed Badie, has been sentenced to death for plotting terrorist attacks against state facilities.

Domestic Affairs

“An off-duty member of the Uniformed Division of Secret Service was arrested Friday in Washington and charged with first-degree attempted burglary, a felony, and one misdemeanor count for destruction of property”

The three hikers were stuck at 8,500 feet in Alaska Glacier. They were saved by a text, which they sent using a satellite phone, and a friend notified the Rescue Coordination Center.

After not speaking to each other for half a century, President Obama and Raul Castro greeted each other at the summit of the americas. The two leaders spoke on the phone and “discussed the ongoing process of normalizing relations between the United States and Cuba”.

Liana Barrientos is being charged for “offering a false instrument for filing in the first degree,” after she married ten men in an immigration scam which “involved some of her husbands, who filed for permanent residence status shortly after the marriages. Any divorces happened only after such filings were approved. It was unclear whether any of the men will be prosecuted.”.

“32-year-old Massachusetts man is facing murder charges, authorities said Wednesday, four days after another man’s remains were found in a duffel bag.””Colina was arraigned on charges of assault and battery causing serious bodily injury and improper disposal of a body.”