Prospective Parents Meet Gables Academies

Ms. Zuniga and yearbook students prepare their presentation for the incoming freshmen.

Jake Paz, Staff Writer

To view the Academy Night photo gallery click here.

Gables hosted its annual Academy Night on Dec. 9, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. to ensure that students interested in attending Gables gained a better view of what the school has to offer. Throughout the night, parents and future Cavaliers were taken on tours of the different academies.

“After speaking to one of the students in TV Production at Academy Night last year, my interest grew even more!” freshman Roxy Rico said.

During the school tours parents were able to ask all sorts of questions about how our school runs. Parents and future students were interested in our school’s block scheduling plan and the different academies that our school has to offer.

“I think Academy Night helps students decide which high school to attend since a lot of them are unsure where to go; but when they get to see how enthusiastic we are about our school, and willing we are to help them in that decision, they will definitely choose Gables,” senior Francis Perez said.

As parents and future students walked the halls of Gables, they were entertained by performances by the Gablettes and The Divaaz. Guests then got the chance to see culinary students in action as they made delicious food samples. They were also able to learn about some of the electives they have choose from by visiting other booths by JROTC, Child Care, Technical Design, Fashion and Band of Distinction. The Media Center held all of our award-winning publications. Students from each publication helped inform incoming freshmen on the benefits of joining a publication, such as TV Production, Creative Writing, Yearbook, Highlights and CavsConnect.

After getting a sneak peak of all the academies, incoming freshmen and their parents were able to get a better idea of what they are interested in. It is highly recommended that each year incoming students come and see what Gables has to offer.