Gables 411: Hour of Code

Chris Bosh is not just a well-known basketball player; he also enjoys coding.

hourofcode.com

Sabrina Ochoa, Editor-in-Chief

After multiple videos being displayed on the GablesLive! morning announcements, many Cavaliers have been wondering about Hour of Code. Below are a few frequently asked questions and their answers:

What is it?

Hour of Code is a project created to help Computer Science programs in public schools across America. The project is aimed to be “the largest learning event in history”, according to the Hour of Code website. However, the program isn’t much like what a student would picture it to be -sitting in class with a textbook on codes-; it’s more of a hands-on experience where one can play games, like Angry Birds, while learning the basics of coding.

How can I do it?

Between Dec. 8-16 (but mostly on Dec. 11), students may have the opportunity to cease classwork and begin doing an hour of coding. After accessing the website, one can click on a beginner tutorial and play around with codes, Angry Birds style, or a more advanced coder can learn how to create Javascript. Ask your teachers about Hour of Code and be sure to bring your mobile device in order to access the school’s WiFi. If you don’t get a chance to complete an hour of code in class, organize your own Hour of Code with a group of friends or log on at home. It’s available 24/7, and completely free!

Why code?

These word sets may seem meaningless, but soon you can translate them into games, and once you get the hang of it, you can use what you’ve learned to create your own apps.

Who codes?

Despite what some may think, anyone can code! National Basketball Association (NBA) star Chris Bosh, Hollywood’s Ashton Kutcher and even Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg are just some of the famous and frequent coders we have all over the nation.

“Coding and networking at the basic level is something that everyone should do because it really supports computer literacy which is something that is going to be needed in a technology dominant world,” senior David Pujol said.

hourofcode.com