New Year, New Structure

As 2018 comes to a close, the school prepares for the upcoming renovation in 2019.

New Year, New Structure

The school will take on a more modern look with its gray and white paint colors.

coralgablescavaliers.org

coralgablescavaliers.org

coralgablescavaliers.org

Annie La Roche, highlights contributor

As the new year is approaching, Coral Gables Senior High is on the road to reconstruction. A plan for internal and external remodeling was proposed in February 2017 and later approved on March 22, 2018. Since then, the school has worked on small sections of remodeling by painting classrooms and replacing doors. The upcoming plan will take several years to conclude, however, it hopes to transform the school’s appearance, infrastructure and size by the end.

As the construction plan seems very promising for the school, it has called for heavy preparation. With this, several phases have been proposed in order to organize the remodeling and demolition to allow for the least disruption to the school environment. Phase one plans to improve the physical environment of the school by means of new roofing for some buildings, painting and reduced traffic in the parking lots. As the school is beginning to paint the halls, phase one seems to already be in action, which will eventually lead into phase two.

Phase two was funded $11.1 million by the county. The phase intends to demolish buildings six and seven and construct a new two-story building along with improving the physical plant infrastructure such as air conditioning. Phase three will follow this by improving the school’s gym and auditorium. However, phase three will not come for several years.

Construction of phases one and two is anticipated to begin by 2019 and hoped to conclude before the summer of 2020. As it is coming close, the remodeling will change the school dramatically.