Gables is where I want to be: De Armas

Mr.+De+Armas+is+happy+he+came+to+teach+at+Gables.+

Camilo Bacca

Mr. De Armas is happy he came to teach at Gables.

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

Q: Please state your name and profession.

A: My name is Oscar De Armas, or Mr. De Armas, and I am a high school teacher.

Q: Did you always know you wanted to be a teacher?

A: No, not always, but over time it just made more and more sense.

Q. Why and when did you start teaching?

A: I became a teacher about two year ago. I became a teacher because it was the quickest way to make an enormous impact on large masses of people in a way that would help me sleep at night. I used to be an attorney and  you have a guilty conscience when you are an attorney.

Q: Where and what did you study?

A:  I came to Gables and then after Gables I went to the University of Florida, so I’m a gator. After the University of Florida I went to Emory University School of Law so, that was in Atlanta, Georgia. And I studied for a total of  seven years, at UF and Emory.

Q: What is your favorite and least favorite part of your job?

A: My favorite part of my jobs is blowing someone’s mind, when they are just like whoa I didn’t see things that way before and you’ve just shaped my perspective. That’s the coolest moment anyone can have, especially if you are a teacher. My least favorite part of the day … I don’t know, I’m a pretty positive person. You know when you meet someone that’s just trying to be all hard, you know that Miami hardness, trying to crack that egg, you know. “Oh you’re going to be hard in my class? I’m going to make you laugh at a fart joke, how about that, huh?”

Q: Are you a sponsor for any clubs?

A: I’m  the sponsor for key club, that’s a new club that I’m sponsoring… not new but, I’m the new sponsor, is what I meant to say.

Q: Do you like to travel?

A: I love to traveling I’ve been to over 25 countries, all throughout South America, all throughout Europe, and this summer I’m going to be going to Asia. I am very excited, I’m going to be going to Thiawan, China, South Korea, the coast of Japan, everything. It’s going to be amazing.

8. If you could be anywhere right now, where would you want to be?

Gables! Cheesy answer, Gables.