A True Soccer Fanatic

Miguel Lemus, Staff Writer

Since Jason Wood was a toddler, he has aspired to be part of a professional soccer team and has worked endlessly to improve himself as an athlete and individual. A junior in the International Baccalaureate Program, Wood spends most of his days either focusing on his academics or practicing for an upcoming soccer game with his team. In order to strengthen his soccer skills and grow as an athlete, Wood plans to spend even more hours on the field and push himself harder than ever before to reach his goals for the season and to make his team stronger.

In their previous season, the Cavalier Boys Soccer team placed second in Districts and they are now working incredibly hard to surpass last year’s performance. As the season progresses, Wood plans to continue working diligently alongside his team to achieve his goal of winning GMAC, Districts and States. However, soccer has become more than just a sport for Wood; it has become a family in which he can continue to grow with his friends and further cement their bonds with each other. Wood’s team greatly motivates him to further improve his skills as a soccer player and person. He has been part of the Gables soccer team since his sophomore year and he definitely does not plan on leaving. With only a year and a half of high school left for Wood, he looks forward to continuing his passion for soccer at a collegiate level.

Jason Wood
Jason Wood (bottom row, center) posing alongside his teammates after a soccer game.

Were you on the soccer team previously and, if you were, for how long?

Yes, I was on the soccer team last year and this is my second year.

What inspired you to start playing?

What inspired me was that I wanted to become a professional soccer player since I was very young.

What does your training consist of?

My training starts off with a warm-up, so I’ll jog around for 10 minutes and then I will stretch to keep myself warm. After, I will do multiple drills that utilize different skill sets in soccer.

What’s your favorite thing about being part of the team?

My favorite thing about being on the team is that I get to be with people that help me get better in everything I do.

How do you balance your athletics with academics?

I balance my athletics and academics by first going to practice and when I get home, I’ll start my homework right away.

What are your goals for the season?

My goals consist of being a better soccer player and winning Districts, GMAC and States.

What is one of the best moments that you have experienced with your team?

The best experience I have had with the team is scoring a goal against South Ridge earlier this season.

What have you achieved in previous seasons?

We were able to be the second best team in our district and be finalists in District Championships.

How would you describe yourself as a student when you’re not out in the field?

I am a pretty hardworking student off the field. I always prioritize doing my homework when I get home or go to my next practice and I try to pay attention in class as best I can.