The Nonsensical Outer Banks Sophomore Season

Courtesy of Netflix

The promo poster for the second season of Outer Banks provides a snippet of the adventure, action and thrills the pogues will have to experience.

Lauren Gregorio, Opinion Editor

Platform: Netflix

Release Date: July 31, 2021

Director: Josh Pate

Cast: John B (Chase Stokes), Sarah Cameron (Madelyn Cline), JJ (Rudy Pankow), Kie (Madison Bailey), Pope (Jonathan Daviss), Rafe (Drew Starkey), Ward (Charles Esten), Topper (Austin North)

Genres: Action, Teen drama, Mystery, Adventure

Rating: TV-MA (language, violence)

Our rating: A-

After the season 1 ending of “Outer Banks” that left fans with endless questions awaiting answers, season 2 created a whole new ballpark of what these pogues were in for. What was thought to be a knock off “The Goonies” remake became an overnight sensation when it came out. The newest installment begins with Sarah and John B still in Nassau, Bahamas attempting to find the gold Sarah’s father Ward took. Whether he deserves it based off of his previous connection to it or not is up to personal opinion, but the majority of the fan base have reached a verdict: the gold is rightfully John B’s.

“Outer Banks” is one of those shows that once you start, you cannot stop. All the characters have morphed into complex individuals all with great attributes and special quirks, like JJ’s perfectly timed comic relief and Pope’s bewildered facial expressions.

“I was super excited to watch the second season and see the development of the plot. I watched it all in one day and wish the third season could come out right now,” senior Kennedy Martin-Jones said.

One of the most intriguing parts of the series is the fact that everything is connected and every small detail, even those that appear insignificant, will be of utmost importance once the time is right. It is most certainly an entertaining adventure that started off with some sort of real life validity, but after finishing up this second season and tuning into fan theories, we cannot help but wonder if this all makes logical sense.

“It was entertaining, but I did not enjoy the ending because their goals were never achieved,” senior Rachell Aguilera said.

From someone getting shot and being able to run two hours after a life-threatening surgery to a new artifact being discovered with a believed supernatural healing power within it, “Outer Banks” can no longer be described as the classic teen show with a bit of romance here and there. It is safe to say that this is the largest con and why the show gets an A- rating. Let’s not forget these high school kids do not even go to school or need to worry about standardized tests.

The second season attempted to answer some of those endless questions, yet they created a bunch of new ones once the finale ended. Nonetheless, it did not disappoint like many other TV shows that come back with a new season quickly. Though it has not been confirmed, “Outer Banks” will most likely be renewed for a third season. Now, all we can do is wait and pretend we get to live like pogues.[powr-twitter-feed id=70259d7f_1631273905705]i