‘Tis the Season for Homemade Holiday Cheer

Tis the season of gift giving and home decorating!

Jeannette Perez

‘Tis the season of gift giving and home decorating!

Jeannette Perez, Staff Writer

The holidays have finally arrived, and ’tis the season to spend all your hard-earned money on thoughtful gifts for the special people in your life. Sometimes, though, presents can add up to become quite costly.  Below are some inexpensive and fun ways to spice up your Christmas decorations this year in preparation for the holidays.

Marbled Ornaments

A tree cannot be a Christmas tree without any festive ornaments. So instead of going out to a store and buying new ornaments for your tree, why not gather up your family and marbleize your own ornaments!

To create this decoration you will need three things: water, clear ornaments and enamel paint.

Steps:

• Swirl some water inside the ornaments (about a tablespoon and then dump it out completely).
  • Pour the enamel paint into the ornament. You can use wooden skewer sticks to help move it around to different areas on the glass before you start to marble.
  • We found the best way to get the paint to marble and move together is by tapping the ornament against your hand in a circular motion. Make sure you hold the opening closed with your finger and a paper towel.
  • Once the entire inside of the ornament is coated, place it back in the plastic container it came in to dry for 24 hours, with the opening facing up.
  • During those 24 hours, turn the ornament on its different sides a few times so the paint does not settle in one area.

For more information, make sure to check out Sugar and Charm. The steps are posted on this site, along with an instructional video in case of any further confusion.

Felt Garland

This festive felt garland is able to go anywhere around your house, but it looks especially beautiful wrapped around the Christmas tree.

Though it is quite a time-consuming project, you will not be disappointed with the beautiful end result. The only materials needed for this particular craft are any kind of twine or string of your liking and your preferred color palette of felt material.

Steps:

•  Knot felt strips along a string of twine
  • Hang anywhere and everywhere.

Tell Love and Party also has the steps to make this craft along with instructional pictures.

As mentioned before, this is quite a time-consuming craft, so make sure to grab some snacks, put on your favorite Christmas movie, get comfortable and get to tying.

Popsicle Stick Snowflakes

This homemade Christmas decoration is a perfect activity to partake in, especially if you have younger siblings at home. Not only would they enjoy making this cute and simple decoration, but they would also love the time they spend with you as they make the decoration.

“I have been making homemade Christmas decorations with my family since I was nine. To me it is just the best way to spend quality time with your family during Christmas,” freshman Grace Urbita said.

The materials for this craft are popsicle sticks, a hot glue gun and any colored paint; the paint, however, is strictly optional.

Steps:

• Arrange the popsicle sticks in the shape of a snowflake.
  • Glue and spray paint popsicle sticks for a snowy indoor wall scene.

For more tips and tricks for this craft, make sure to check out the A Girl and a Glue Gun website.

“Homemade gifts or decorations have a deeper sentimental value that, most of the time, store-bought gifts cannot compare to,” freshman Bertha Mendoza said.

With all the time you have spent with family or friends making these festive decorations, you will surely be put into the true holiday spirit this winter season. As winter break approaches, be sure to squeeze in a couple of hours to test out these do-it-yourself decoration ideas!