Drake’s “For All The Dogs”

“For All The Dogs” receives mixed opinions from fans.
Alicia Buddle
Drake fans listen to their favorite songs from new album, “For All The Dogs”.

Artist: Drake

Genre: Hip-Hop/Rap

Rating: B+

Release Date: Oct. 6, 2023

The successful artist Drake has recently released the long-awaited album “For All the Dogs.” Fans worldwide had been waiting, growing more impatient after each reschedule for the album to drop. Earlier this summer, Drake implied that the album would herald a return of the ‘old Drake’. While some fans argued the album was bad and nothing like his old music, others loved the album, calling it one of his best. Despite some criticism, the album gained much popularity and is number one on Billboard charts. It featured many genres ranging from Rap to R&B, which successfully worked together to create a diverse and versatile sound.

Track 3: “Amen (feat. Teezo Touchdown)”

Rating: B-

“My favorite song is Amen, featuring Teezo Touchdown. It’s really fun, because it has a good vibe. Drake’s album is popular with guys, and it’s funny watching all their reactions to the songs. When Drake releases his albums, it brings people together because a lot of people listen to it together, and connect through the music. The album truly represents our generation for this reason,” freshman Lily-Jade Lecoultre said.

The opening of Teezo Touchdown’s “Amen” sets the stage for a powerful spiritual journey as he humbly expresses gratitude. The lyrics take the listener on a soul-searching adventure, exploring the depths of faith and the highs of belief. His captivating voice on “Amen” showcases his range. The messages of love and loyalty shine through in Drake and Teezo’s lyrics. For these reasons, the track is one of the more powerful songs on the project.

“The Drake album was a masterpiece; it’s one of the best albums I’ve heard so far. I loved ‘Amen’ and how he features Teezo Touchdown on it, but my favorite feature was SZA,” Mr. Constant said.

Track 15: What Would Pluto Do

Rating: A+

When Drake wrote “What Would Pluto Do”, he compares himself to Pluto, as he feels underestimated and overlooked. Throughout the lyrics, he confidently emphasizes his wealth and success, boasting about making millions and living a life of luxury. This production has a nice balance of vocals, beats, catchiness, adlibs and a steady flow. Aside from that, this song brings back ‘old Drake’ which makes it hands down one of the best songs on the album.

“I listened to the entire album the day it came out because he’s my favorite artist. I’ve replayed ‘What Would Pluto Do’ the most, because it’s catchy, and in my opinion, the best one. My favorite features were 21 Savage and Yeat,” sophomore Brooke Lawson said. 

Track 19: “Gently (feat. Bad Bunny)”

Rating: B+

Drake’s song “Gently” is a slow, romantic ballad that speaks to the heart. The song’s lyrics are filled with tenderness, expressing Drake’s deep affection for a woman he cares about. The song’s melody is soft and soothing, with a slow beat that complements the gentle lyrics perfectly. As the song progresses, the music builds in intensity, conveying the depth of emotion that Drake feels for his partner. This song is definitely a fan favorite.

This poll has ended.

Did you enjoy the album?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“Gently is my favorite song on the new album, because I like how it mashes Drake’s rap with Bad Bunny, and I love the beat,” freshman Stella Gonzalez said.

Track 20: Rich Baby Daddy (feat. Sexyy Red and SZA)

Rating: A-

“Rich Baby Daddy” was an unexpected change of tempo and style, surprising many fans with the energetic Sexyy Red feature and the calm SZA feature. The song also delivers nuanced lyrics, demonstrating Drake’s acknowledgment of the less fortunate while also expressing how he wants the best life for his family. The lines ‘We from two different worlds, but it’s a match to me’ and ‘Heard there’s money on my head, what is that to me?’ show his awareness of his success and fortune, yet he still finds himself reflecting on his position.

“I really liked the album; Drake as an artist has come very far. He’s a classic in today’s music industry and the backbone of musicians today. My favorite songs were Rich Baby Daddy featuring SZA and Sexyy Red. All of his songs had different beats and lyrics and they’re really fun to sing along to,” freshman Daniella Steffen said.

Overall, the album is one of his best, featuring many popular artists to help execute his vision. He touches on many topics, ranging from relationships to his personal life, with the lyrics cohesively intertwining these themes across the different songs. The album was entirely enjoyable, with a catchy tone from start to finish.