Time Is Running Out: Russia-Ukraine War On the Horizon

Aaron Rojas

The Russia-Ukraine tensions are rising with NATO starting to implement preparations if Russia were to attack and invade Ukraine.

Aaron Rojas, Staff Writer

After many emergency conferences and talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin and other European world leaders, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine continues to rise as 100,000 Russian soldiers are massed near the border of Ukraine in Crimea, worrying leaders of an invasion.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization and its allies have responded, aiding Ukraine by supplying military equipment. The Pentagon’s Defense Secretary, Lloyd Austin, placed 8,500 United States troops on alert to be deployed if Russia makes a move on Ukraine, while NATO has sent naval ships and fighter jets into Eastern Europe.

The U.S. is also working with its allies to potentially ban technological exports to Russia’s technology and products. Some of these exports include artificial intelligence, quantum computing, defense and civilian aerospace tech. The White House has stated that it wants to take a tougher approach to Russia than in 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea and other parts of Eastern Europe.

The current conflict between Russia and Ukraine is just the latest chapter to its long conflict past over the past nine years in Eastern Europe. (Aaron Rojas)

“Korea, Vietnam, the Russians in Afghanistan and the United States fighting a war on terror brings the question of how long will America have to maintain its title as the world’s peace? Is that really a necessity? Is the well-being of Ukrainians going to enrich American prosperity or is it just going to drain our money?” history teacher Mr. Miller said.

Ukrainian President Volodymr Zelensky and his advisors reassured the nation that an invasion from Russia would not happen, adding that “Russia has the right to move military personnel and equipment wherever it likes in the country.” Earlier this month, Ukraine blamed Russia for a cyberattack on the government and private computer networks.

Russia has announced that it will not invade Ukraine, but wants NATO to withdraw its troops from Eastern Europe and demands NATO to ban both Georgia and Ukraine from joining the organization. NATO has clarified that each nation’s security decision is a sovereign choice and that any country is welcome.

French President Emmanuel Macron is set to have a meeting with German, Russian and Ukrainian representatives with the aim of reaching a diplomatic solution. Macron is also expecting a phone call with Vladimir Putin on Jan. 28, with the hopes of de-escalating the crisis.

“Americas’ vision for world peace has been the driving factor behind the foreign policy, but can we really keep that forever? Even though the U.S. is part of NATO, it shouldn’t be too aggressive against Russia and should instead try to cooperate more progressively like the European leaders,” sophomore Sergio Rey-Hernandez said.

The United Kingdom’s government has accused Russia of installing a pro-Kremlin leader at the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv after the invasion. “The information being released today shines a light on the extent of Russian activity designed to subvert Ukraine and is an insight into Kremlin thinking,” U.K. Foreign Secretary Liz Truss said in a statement.

China, one of Russia’s most closeted allies — along with India and Syria — has described NATO as outdated and sees Russia’s “legitimate security concerns” as an appropriate response. On Jan. 26, China’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijan spoke of NATO as a “Cold War remnant.”

The U.S., Australia, U.K., Germany and Canada have all told the families of diplomats at embassies in Kyiv to start leaving Ukraine due to the increasing tension between NATO and Russia.

“I feel like Russia is playing the poker game seeing other countries bluff out since multiple world leaders have told Putin that they will sanction him if necessary even though all Russia has done was put troops on the border. It shows that the West is not backing down and exerting their force even when Russia hasn’t invaded Ukraine yet,” freshman Sophia Sordi said.