Attacked From All Corners: Trump Organization Being Prosecuted

Aaron Rojas

A criminal investigation has been launched into the Trump Organization by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Roberts Vance Jr. and New York State General Attorney Letitia James

Aaron Rojas, Staff Writer

A criminal investigation has officially been launched into former United States President Donald John Trump and his family business. The investigation is now entering its final weeks of testimony with Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Roberts Vance Jr. overseeing the inquiry as the prosecutor of the New York case.

The prosecution has charged the Trump Organization with orchestrating a 15-year scheme to defraud the government. They also charged the company’s Chief Financial Officer, Allen Weisselberg, with 15 felony counts, including grand larceny, criminal tax fraud, false business records, avoiding paying $900,000 in taxes and having $130,000 in improper tax refunds. The CFO had pleaded not guilty to the accusations along with the organization.

I’m curious as to how people like Weisselberg were able to get away with such amounts of unpaid taxes, not to mention the charges he received for a long while. Like $900,000 is a big number for someone to just mention it at someone,

— freshman Alberto Hernandez

The Trump Organization has recently been in other lawsuits with both Summer Zervos dropping her case and Michael Cohen’s case being dismissed this past month. Back in 2017, Zervos had claimed that Trump had previously defamed her by denying he had sexually assaulted her prior years back.

Cohen claimed that the Trump Organization promised that Trump’s presidential campaign would pay the remainder of his firm, McDermott Will & Emery LLP and the costs in connection from the $137,460 already fulfilled by the organization in October 2017.

Besides Weisselberg, the company’s chief operating officer, Matthew Calamari, has been under inspection for possible charges. The COO’s lawyer, Nicholas Gravante, stated “they do not plan to indict him” along with the attorney not giving him any charges.

Calamari’s son and director of security, Matthew Calamari Jr., was present for a testimony back in September. He reported his taxes and an apartment he had received from the Trump Organization, along with senior finance official Jeffrey McConney’s personal tax returns of Matthew Calamari Sr. that same month.

Trump has called the criminal investigation “politically motivated” after a collaboration between democratic attorneys Vance and New York State Attorney General Letitia James on a subpoena for the case.

Vance also prepares to end his third term as an attorney by the end of the year, since he did not run for re-election for his last term. The case will most likely continue in Alvin Braggs’ hands as the newly elected Manhattan District Attorney by next year for an outline towards the grand jury for a decision.