What I Be Project

Steve Rosenfield

“I am not my body image.”

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

Today, our society sets “standards,” expecting others to look or act a certain way. Many times those who do not comply with these “standards,” tend to be judged, mocked and bullied for their differences. In order to prevent this, photographer Steve Rosenfield started the “What I Be Project” in 2010. A global movement focused on honesty and empowerment, Rosenfield’s project aims to “help everyone accept diversity with an open mind and heart and empower those who feel they suffer for something they may see as a flaw.”

It all started one night, when Rosenfield wrote his friend’s insecurity on her hands as a way to daringly display her self-doubts on her skin. He then took a headshot of her. In the photo, the words “thunder thighs” were displayed on her hands, and next to the photograph, the statement, “I am not my body image.” At this moment, the “What I Be Project” was born.

From high school students to well-known names in the entertainment industry, personal insecurities are being presented for the whole world to see. They state that their insecurities do not define them. According to his website, Rosenfield’s main goal is “to spread awareness on what people go through due to society’s paved roads.”

“For me, the What I Be project is very empowering. I love how people are being honest and letting the whole world see their insecurities. No one should be judged for them because no one is ‘perfect’ and everyone should feel confident in their own skin,” junior Michelle Forero said.

He named his project after Michael Franti and Spearhead‘s song, “What I Be.” The song is all about being true to yourself and being the best person you can possibly be.

“When I found out there was a project named after one of my favorite songs, “What I Be,” I looked it up and was happy to see that the project fit perfectly with the song. They are both about confidently expressing yourself,” sophomore Jocelin Mora said.

“I encourage every viewer to look at each image and put yourself in the individual’s shoes. By allowing yourself to feel what they feel, you might realize something you’ve never noticed before,” Rosenfield said.

The images can be found on his website: http://www.whatibeproject.com/ or Instagram: @whatibeproject.