Cavaliers Enjoy the Bustle of Senior Circus

During their lunch break, seniors relished in the charms of a customized circus
Felipe Valdes
Senior Circus aimed to provide seniors with creative games and tasty treats to unwind during both lunches.

Following the excitement of previous treat days, Haunted Hallway and Senior Sundae, seniors wondered how their last treat day would cap off the year. On Feb. 28 during both lunches, they made their way to the basketball courts behind the 9000 building, where they enjoyed a carnival complete with snacks and games.

“[Mrs. Camacho] and I like to do things that are different, that we haven’t done before. We don’t like to do the same things two years in a row so the new seniors will always have a new and different unique experience. We knew we had some things already such as the snow cone machine and popcorn machine and we wanted to figure out how to put them to use,” Mrs. D’Alemberte said.

What Senior Circus Treat Are You?

There was an error. Please try again.

5 Total Questions

During third period, the senior class board collaborated with students in Mrs. Camacho’s Work Studies class. Members of Student Activities got to work setting up tents for the various concession stands, ranging from popcorn and snow cones to cotton candy. The dunk tank was the main attraction of the carnival, where students had the opportunity to throw a ball at a target and dunk their teachers and administrators including Mr. Curtis, Mr. Del Valle and Mr. De Armas.

“We wanted to make it feel like you’re coming out of the circus and you want to get a quick bite to eat, so of course we had the classic tents. We had the little flags and a lot of the red which is traditional ‘Cirque du Soleil’ almost, [so] it came together very nicely,” senior Alexandra Roa said.

At the entrance of the field, the senior class board was in charge of checking in seniors who were in uniform, showed their ID and had fundraised at the beginning of the school year.

Seniors lined up to receive hot dogs. A condiment station nearby was stocked with ketchup, mustard and relish. (Felipe Valdes)

Once allowed into the event, Cavaliers received two tickets: a pink one allowing them to get a hot dog and a blue ticket for any of the other concessions. Seniors were beckoned by the buttery aroma of popcorn and sweet scents of cotton candy as the decision of what snack to get drew lines for each station.

“The assortment of food captured the vibe of the carnival really nicely. Having a condiment stand for the hot dogs was a good choice, and the snow cones were perfect since it was hot outside,” senior Diego Herzog said.

Classic rock and pop songs played over a speaker while students stood in line for their favorite snacks. Seniors socialized with their peers under the shade of the tents after receiving their treats, reminiscing on their time together as Cavaliers. Others waited for their turn to throw at the dunk tank, hoping to score and drench their teachers.

After a break for the students staffing the event to eat and restock the stations with concessions, the following lunch featured the same activities. To accentuate the fun, some of the event staff got into costume to augment the carnival aura.

Student Council President Lorenzo Londono joined the festivities of the day as a clown. (Felipe Valdes)

“Just for fun, I dressed up as a clown and I worked the dunk tank; we had several people dressed as circus performers. We had a strongman, a fortune teller, a ringmaster, we wanted people to really feel the circus around them,” senior Lorenzo Londono said.

As one of the last events seniors shared before graduation, Senior Circus reminded them of their years of camaraderie together at Gables. With Senior Picnic on the horizon, seniors relished the chance to spend time with their classmates before going on their own paths after graduation.