Fine Dines in the Gables: Coyo Taco

Camryn Bagnall-Koger

Coyo Taco serves traditional Mexican tacos with a fresh twist.

Camryn Bagnall-Koger, Staff Writer

Our Rating: A+

Mexican food can be hard to come by in South Florida, and finding an authentic restaurant can be tough. Coyo Taco is one of the few traditional places in the area, and it has a large following due to its exceptional food. They have three locations around South Florida, and it just opened a Coral Gables location on Aug. 22, making it easy for the residents of the Gables to get some quality tacos.

Coyo Taco serves healthy, traditional tacos and other Mexican street food. Their “Taco Tuesday” deal makes the delicious tacos sound even more appealing; all taco specials are half off on Tuesdays. The shop offers a variety of different tacos, burritos, burrito and salad bowls, quesadillas and tortas, plus churros or paletas for dessert. They also offer a bar with different salsas, sauces and homemade drinks such as agua frescas and margaritas. Upon arrival, the atmosphere is bright and welcoming, and the mouthwatering aroma hits you as soon as you step in the door.  Not to mention, the staff is extremely hospitable, and the manager always welcomes the restaurant’s customers at the door and lets them sample their drinks.

“I haven’t been to Coyo Taco, but I am excited about it because I have heard great things about their food. I look forward to going and enjoying some tacos,” freshman Sarah Whalen said.

Coyo Taco is located on Giralda Avenue, near Miracle Mile, so it is easily accessible to high school students attending Gables.

Their most popular tacos are the “Al Pastor”,  a marinated pork taco with pineapple, onion, cilantro and Cotija cheese, the “Cochinita Pibil” with pork, habanero and pickled onions,  the “Carne Asada” with skirt steak, pico de gallo, chipotle and queso and the “Grouper Frito” with beer-battered grouper, jalapeno aioli and avocado.

Coyo Taco serves a variety of drinks, including both “Tamarind” and “Jamaica”(dried hibiscus). Both are very fruity, flavorful and refreshing.

The “Carne Asada” taco is extremely flavorful, and the cheese along with the pico de gallo balanced out the steak perfectly. The pork on the “Cochinita Pibil” was very flavorful and juicy.  The tang of the onions contrasted with the meat. It was especially delicious with the chipotle aioli sauce, which was perfectly spicy without being overwhelming.

For anyone looking for a vegetarian option, the “Coliflor” taco is made with cauliflower, Pipian mole, queso fresco, pickled onions and cilantro. The cauliflower adds a delightful crunch.

For dessert, the churros were crispy on the outside, but warm and chewy on the inside, showered with plenty of cinnamon sugar and served with a rich dark chocolate sauce and creamy caramel.

“I thought Coyo Taco was a really unique restaurant because the place is on theme, and they serve all their tacos in little trays that are easy to share with friends when you go,” junior Daniel Fernandez said.

Overall, anything you order off the menu has to be delicious, and its close proximity to Gables makes it perfect for students looking for an after school snack. The wide variety of dining ensures everyone will be able to find something they like, and we highly recommend checking out this great restaurant. While there are plethora of excellent dining options in Coral Gables, Coyo Taco excels in the Mexican realm.

For more themed restaurant reviews, stay tuned for next week’s edition of “Fine Dines in the Gables!”