A Young Cavalier Baseball Team Shows Promise This Season

The score board when the Cavalier baseball team played Miami High.

Gabriel Sardinia, Contributor

The Cavalier baseball team is almost half way through the season and they are off to a fantastic start. The start of the schedule began slowly when the boys lost both preseason games and the first two regular season games. Besides the fact that the team wasn’t playing well it was also plagued with injuries. The starting center fielder, right fielder, 1st baseman, catcher, and a few pitchers all got hurt.

Team captain and one of only four  seniors (who also got injured and did not play for a few games) Kelvin Nuñez  said,”Obviously this is not how we wanted our season to start but we knew our injured players would come back and honestly we also knew we were the best team in our district from day one.”

The squad kept their heads up and pulled through to win the last six out of seven games and are now riding a five game winning steak. The most amazing thing about this team is that they have eleven sophomores and one freshmen. This is by far one of the youngest teams in Miami-Dade County and they are currently in first place in the district.

“Look we’re very young but I specifically told each and every player from the start of the season that youth cannot be an excuse,” said head coach, Philip Wisser.

Most recently the Cavaliers defeated Miami High by a score of 18-0. You can say they team has definitely struck some fire. The team is trying to keep their composure and continue to win in order to remain in first place when playoffs come around.

One of the most talented sophomores, short stop Robert “Coco” Montes said, “We have put ourselves in a great position for the playoffs. Now we’re 4-1 in our district and if we continue to play this way we’ll be set for the playoffs.”

The baseball program has not won a district title since 2010, but this team is striving to bring the district trophy home. The boys hope to stay in first place and be in the top spot when the games truly matter.