Basketball Seniors Enjoy One Last Dance

The Cavalier boys basketball team played Dade Christian for their final home game of the regular season
Senior+and+captain+Gabriel+Chang+scores%2C+expanding+the+Cavaliers+lead.+A+reaction+from+his+teammates+is+imminent%2C+as+they+cheer+him+on+for+the+hard-work+he+models.++
Gabriela Blanco
Senior and captain Gabriel Chang scores, expanding the Cavaliers’ lead. A reaction from his teammates is imminent, as they cheer him on for the hard-work he models.

Consistency: a concept that the Coral Gables Senior High boys basketball program knows very well. Every day after school, the gym echoes with the sounds of the sliding and squeaking of shoes on the basketball court. Sharpening their craft on a daily basis, Gables showcased multiple hard-working seniors during their last game of the 2024 regular season.

On the Jan. 30, seniors Julian Moreira, Roosevelt Jeanmarry Jr., Gabriel Chang and Marcellus Williams were celebrated for their feats in their last home game of the regular season against Dade Christian School. The game started around 7:30 p.m. and spectators were filled with excitement to watch the seniors play with a little more spice.

Wearing a mix of crimson, white, black and grey, Gables colors flooded the gym. The parents of the senior players held on to flowers, a surprise for their kids at the end of the game.

After the game, the senior boys showcased their frames, a treasure from their time at Gables. (Gaby Blanco)

“Leading up to senior night was very emotional for the team, knowing that all the hard work they have put in over the years. Having one of my closest friends Captain Gabriel Chang and playing my last game with him was very emotional. But I am exited to see them grow in the game of basketball,” junior Bruno Sanchez said.

Starting off the game, the first quarter energy was extremely pacified. Dade Christian started off with good defense, making each shot a little bit more difficult for the Cavaliers to block. A turning point in the quarter came when captain and junior Bruno Sanchez stole the basketball and Roosevelt Jean-Mary, “Rosie”, took the alley-hoop and cashed in a layup.

Entering the second quarter, the energy began to steamroll. The boys kept the score close until the Crusaders were up by a few points at halftime. During intermission, Coach Shoon shared motivational words and the team agreed on the adjustments needed for the second half.

I will for sure miss this because obviously all of the teammates I have played with throughout my three years of playing with them and building a brotherhood. I will also miss all the fun times, like when we went to Fort Myers and all the memories created. The coaches arguing about who is better, its all the small things that made the Gables basketball team really feel like a family,”

— senior Gabriel Chang

As the third quarter commenced, players were refreshed and put more effort on the defensive side of the ball. Gables’ offense gradually picked up and they were able to regain the lead midway the third quarter.

Leading up to the fourth quarter, Gables was determined to come out with a win. The seniors made sure to enjoy themselves while getting the job done. Within those ten minutes, junior Sanchez threw senior Williams an alley-hoop which he then dunked. Immediately, the crowd jumped up and roared. The game ended with a score of 53 to 40, Gables coming out victorious.

“I really enjoyed my senior basketball season here at Gables, it was the most important season to me and something I looked forward to throughout my high school career. In the end, I wish I would have lived in the moment and would have stopped thinking about what is next. I’ve met a lot of mentors at Gables, people that want me to succeed, and that will still be there for me even after high school, they are a real family,” senior Marcelus Williams said.

Throughout the whole night, the Gables cheerleaders were present to energize the basketball team; it was their senior night as well. Giving their last game a run for its money, they performed stunts that thrilled the people on the bleachers.

Words From The Basketball Players
Sophomore German Striebeck

"As a newer player in the team, the seniors and older players are big mentors for us. We have spent lots of time together and they never fail to help us sharpen our skills, we are going to miss them and the energy they bring to our team."

Junior Noah Berumen

"Being a junior on the team I am close with many of the seniors, their dedication to the team has been persistent, we are excited to see what they are will be able to accomplish in their future basketball careers."

Junior Bruno Sanchez

"Being a Captain, I am naturaly close to the seniors, especially senior captain Gabriel Chang, the time and hours of practice I have put in with them, having them gone will be a change and they will definetly be missed. But they will always be a part of our family."

“The feelings for this last game for me personally were mixed, I was excited it marked the end of a chapter in my life but also sad it was going to be the last time I got to experience a game with all the girls from my team that I have grown t0 love. The basketball players did amazing and we were happy to cheer them on as they made their way through our tunnel of pompoms,” senior Jenna Diez said.

Following the game, the senior players walked the infamous red carpet joined by their families. Each senior received a frame with their picture, a captured memory that would last forever. The framers are a symbol that the lessons and values inherited at Gables can stick with these seniors for a lifetime.

Even though this game wrapped up the regular season for the boys, they will advance into the playoffs to play Ferguson in the upcoming district tournament.