Get To Know Mary Snow

Orestes Gonzalez

Two of the scholarship winners, along with Mary Snow share their happiness with a big smile on their faces.

Albany Muria, Staff Writer

On April 30, 2014, during the annual Coral Gables Senior High Award Ceremony, the Coral Gables Community Foundation, represented by Executive Director Mary Snow, presented three scholarships to outstanding seniors.

The Ralph Moore Scholarship is given annually to an outstanding student who exemplifies the values of a past Gables High principal, Ralph Moore (1977-1993), which is awarded to commemorate him. This $1,000 scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior who demonstrates both academic excellence, and involvement in extracurricular activities, as well as an expanse array of community service.

“It is with extreme gratitude that I accepted the scholarships. I had applied to them, but I was not expecting to receive them.  This scholarship will really help me move a step forward towards being able to attend my dream school,” scholarship recipient, Michael Hammond said.

The Lady Suzanna P. Tweed Scholarship was developed out of  her love for children and her desire to help deserving students be able to continue their education.  The scholarship was awarded to the student who showed both academic success and demonstrated need-awarded to Patricia Passwaters.

“I was extremely surprised when Mary Snow called my name. Even though people always talk about how expensive college is, the reality didn’t sink in till I was short on money. Every little bit really does count. I am extremely grateful that Mary Snow chose me as the recipient. There aren’t enough ways that I can thank them,” senior Patricia Passwaters said.

The third scholarship The Grant & Bridget Daugherty Scholarship was awarded to Gema Baltodano. The scholarship is awarded to students that intend to study nursing.

Mary Snow, the representative from Coral Gables Community Foundation returned that night as a Gables’ alumni. Graduating with the class of 2000, Snow was co-editor of the yearbook and served as Treasurer of her senior class. As part of student activities, Snow got to help with the planning of Grad Night (now known as Grad Bash) and the memorable night of prom. One of her favorite things from her senior year was being able to support Gables’ amazing football team. 

“The leadership skills I learned at Gables help me now as a working professional.  Being in the Coral Gables business community, I am lucky to have attended Gables and made the connections I did while there,” Snow said. 

Before working at the Coral Gables Community Foundation as the Executive Director, Snow had been volunteering for 4 years at the foundation. The Coral Gables Community Foundation serves to help our community by providing  scholarships to the community, and assisting in historic preservation of the local neighborhoods. 

Mary Snow, a Gables’ alumni and a true cavalier at heart, visited our halls to award scholarships to the outstanding seniors that show academic excellence and extracurricular involvement. Congratulations to the seniors who were recognized for their hard work!

Ralph Moore Scholarship: Michael Hammond

Lady Suzanna P. Tweed Scholarship: Patty Passwaters

Grant & Bridget Daugherty Scholarship: Gema Baltodano