Food Hoarding: Selfish or Smart Self-Preservation?

Multiple shoppers lately have been hoarding food and this article details if you are entitled to that or if you should consider other people and their situation when you go out shopping during these uncertain timed.

Anthony Russo

Anthony Russo, Staff Writer

The outbreak of Coronavirus has affected the day-to-day lives of millions of people around the world as guidelines to stay a minimum of six feet away from everyone and to limit going out as much as possible are heavily encouraged. With all of these restrictions, many people have started becoming paranoid over the severity of the situation, leading many shoppers to hoard and overbuy food and other valuable items such as hand-sanitizer and latex gloves to the point where there is not much for others. There is no reason to hoard food or overbuy any product due to COVID-19 because retailers have enough to go around for everyone, it causes retailers to shift focus from supplying essential items like masks and gloves to hospitals and it is important to think of other people when it comes to over-supplying yourselves because many people will be affected by the shortage of items. 

Since COVID-19 became a global issue, many people have repeatedly overbought essential items that everyone needs, in fear that they will be left without supplies. This is completely false, as multiple grocery retailers such as Publix have stated numerous times that there is no need to “crowd stores” and “hoard supplies” since their workers are working around the clock to make sure all of their shelves are stocked with goods. This unethical hoarding harms families in need, leaving many without day-to-day essential items during these tough times. 

“I feel like shoppers need to be aware of the situation that they are putting other people in. It is fine to go out and get your weekly groceries but to buy out the entire store, that is just not okay,” sophomore Justin Pujol said.

Despite efforts to produce essential equipment, people hoarding items are forcing workers to manufacture items of less importance rather than masks and gloves. Manufacturers have noticed how the time to make the supplies for our doctors and nurses has become more and more scarce. This is a result of the fact that they must put those essentials aside to produce goods that would otherwise be in stock if not for people oversupplying themselves on months of supplies of food and toilet paper. 

“As long as you are following the regulations that are being put by officials, everyone should have enough, but it is when they start doing their own thing that the problems start arising such as food shortages and supplies,” sophomore Melisa Monzon said.

Additionally, although some people may say that everyone has the right to buy as much as they would like, people should be mindful to limit themselves as their selfishness affects the ability for others to also purchase goods. Think about that old neighbor who lives next to you; they cannot compete against a crowd of people for the last package of toilet paper. This is also applicable to the coveted doctors and nurses who practically work day and night to fight this virus and by the time they get to the stores, everything is already gone. It is important for us to be mindful of other shoppers and to ask ourselves if we really need a month’s worth of a product because by overbuying, supplies are taken from those in dire need.

Although experts recommend preparing your household with goods that lasts around two weeks, you should always remember to consider everybody else during these uncertain times and not buy an excessive amount of goods. Retailers have workers working around the clock to guarantee that there is always food and supplies on their shelves, but if select people hoard food, that leaves so much time to create safety equipment for those that need it and may force grocery stores to add a limit to how much of one item you can buy. The next time you go out and buy some supplies, remember to buy only what you need, and even check on your neighbors and ask them if they need anything. This pandemic is not easy on anyone, so even minimal efforts can make a world of a difference.