The Sports Industry Goes Against Trump

Mercedes Debesa

President Trump uninvites the Golden State Warriors from the White House.

Miguel Lemus, Staff Writer

Controversy sparked when President Trump invited, and later uninvited, the Golden State Warrior team after their win against the Cavaliers. Before Trump uninvited the team, Stephen Curry was having second thoughts about going to the nation’s capital. A few days before, there was a incident where Trump wanted to fire the NFL players that knelt and raised their fist during the national anthem because he thought it was disrespectful to America. These NFL players were trying to stand up for the social injustice that many black Americans face in everyday life. Trump’s reaction to the NFL players kneeling made Curry rethink his decision about visiting the White House. Trump noticed Curry’s hesitation and quickly posted a tweet on Twitter uninviting Curry. Even if Curry was having second thoughts due to Trump’s commentary on the NFL players and didn’t agree with Trump’s ideals, it doesn’t mean Trump had to take it to the extreme by uninviting him via Twitter.

A day before Trump tweeted his disinvitation, he made a few controversial comments about the NFL players, one of them being Colin Kaepernick, who knelt down during the national anthem. Trump tweeted “if a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag and should stand for the National Anthem.” Since a lot of the NFL players have large social platforms, they were trying to shed light on a sensitive topic and were standing up for the black Americans who face discrimination and racism in their daily lives. Trump should really take into consideration that the people elected him to represent America as a whole, but what he is saying on Twitter makes him come off as extremely unprofessional. As the President of the the United States, he should be more cautious about what he says because all those comments just cause more backlash, especially now from the sports industry.

“Why would you uninvite a team who wasn’t who wasn’t going to go either way, that was just pointless,” sophomore Celine Perez said.

With everything going on in the world, Trump should focus on more important issues. As of late, it just seems like Trump has been trying to go against everyone who doesn’t agree with him. For instance, he disinvited Curry from the White simply because he was having doubts about going. A day before that, he posted on Twitter that he wanted all the NFL players who knelt during the national anthem to be fired because he thought it was disrespectful. Moreover, Trump’s Secretary, Sarah Sanders, said Jemele Hill should be fired just because she did not agree with the comments she made about Trump. Mr. Trump should not stop them from expressing their opinions because they have the right to do so under the first amendment. If this was the case, then a lot of people in the sports industry would be left without a job.

Some may argue alongside Trump stating it should be an honor to be invited to the White House and that there should be no hesitation in accepting the offer. They might also believe that Curry doesn’t have to mix his political views with his job because it would seem extremely unprofessional. However, he was invited to the White House to celebrate his championship win with his teammates. He wasn’t required to go by anyone, only he had the option. If visiting the White House wasn’t a way for him to celebrate his major win, then it’s perfectly fine for him to not go. Although it’s the nation’s capital, not everyone has to see it as an honor. Everyone has different views on President Trump. Some might like him, but some may simply not, meaning that it’s perfectly fine for Curry and the NFL payers to express themselves since they live in a country where they have the freedom to do so. In addition, it did not mean Trump had to disinvite the Golden State Warriors because technically he was uninviting someone who wasn’t going in the first place.

“Trump literally took  away their invitation for nothing, he was basically acting like a spoiled brat because Stephen wasn’t going to go either way,” sophomore Anafrancis Castillo said.

President Trump’s comments on Twitter just gives a bad representation of what America is about. As the President, he should encourage young minds to think differently without being bashed from anyone, even as the President of the United States. The NFL  players and Curry were just trying express their thoughts, and even if some might not agree with them, Trump should’ve at least respected the fact that not everyone is going to think of him highly and that everyone is going to have their own opinion towards certain topics.