Michael Flynn’s Fiery Resignation

Tom Williams

Micheal T. Flynn recently resigned from his post as White House National Security Advisor.

Alexander Yagoda, Staff Writer

On Feb. 13, President Trump’s national security adviser Michael Flynn resigned which caused quite a lot of concern for many Americans. This came largely due to issues with Russia which is something we have not had to deal with since the end of the Cold War. However, as tensions rise between the governments of Russia and the United States our situation emulates relationships during the Cold War-which may have caused Flynn to resign.

“I think that Michael Flynn made the right decision to resign however, I do believe this situation will tarnish his reputation and make it hard for him to hold another position in government,” freshman Ana Rodriguez said

The exact reason why Flynn resigned was because he misled Vice President Mike Pence on the nature of the relationship between Russia-primarily how they threatened national security. In effect, Pence neglected to do the primary job he had which was to monitor foreign affairs. In addition, Flynn had previously spent time in Russia to celebrate the tenth anniversary of an English speaking news channel backed by the Russian state. There, he had dinner with Russian President Vladimir Putin. However, the ultimate issue came when Putin didn’t reciprocate with the sanctions applied on Russia by President Obama. As can be concluded from this, Flynn’s resignation was probably the best thing he has done in the interest of national security.

Some believe that Flynn may have resigned a little too early and that he could have fixed the situation he was put in, rather easily. Also, resigning his position gave president Trump the power to select yet another head of office which will basically act as one of his pawns. Trump’s decided to make Army Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, which may have been a good choice since he is a well respected military strategist.

In the end, Flynn submitted his “two weeks notice” which was probably the wisest choice to make. According to Trump and his staff, they all knew about what Flynn told Mr. Pence two weeks ago. But overall, Flynn’s actions makes the public wonder, what’s going on behind closed doors?