Corny Hollywood Movies

The+Wizard+of+Oz+character+the+Cowardly+Lion+

James Burke

The Wizard of Oz character the Cowardly Lion

Kelsy Pacheco, Sports Editor

We all know the classics – a princess finding her prince charming, or a fair maiden getting swept off her feet by a knight in shining armor – but these tales seem to be coming up a lot in today’s film industry. Movies that are being made today seem to be getting cornier and more predictable with each release.

“Hollywood movies nowadays have become the same thing: girl likes boy, girl tries to change her life for boy, and they end up happily ever after. It’s kind of sad to see these movies get so much attention when in reality they only copy a cliche story line with overused actors,” sophomore Amanda Lopez said.

Now that classic movies are bring remade, it takes away from the originality of their plots. The movies that are being refurbished are usually the movies that everyone has seen as a child, and now that many of them are being modernized, it takes away the original meaning that we hold to heart. Disney’s hit classic movie Cinderella was just recently remade into a modern movie. With no change in plot, the audience is left to watch the same exact movie with the exception of human actors.

It’s sad how profitable and common it has become to repeat the same plot with different actors and a different setting, but Hollywood is inherently about profit so the repetition isn’t unexpected,

— junior Maya Iskandarani

But there are always those movies that are critically acclaimed. In-depth award winning movies such as “Interstellar” and “Boyhood” show a different side to Hollywood. These movies are shown in a different perspectives with new and engaging plots that keep spectators wanting a sequel. Even when movies are made with eye-catching story lines, sometimes they are made into sequels that become too repetitive. For example, the movie “Taken” was released in 2008 with great success, but then in 2012 and 2014, “Taken 2” and “Taken 3” were released – replicas of the first movie.

“Movies are getting repetitive and unoriginal, some sequels and prequels are completely unnecessary. And some spinoffs are really bad concepts to begin with, like ‘Sharpay’s New York Adventure’ or whatever – who came up with that?” senior Javier Cobas said.

As movies continue to be remade, the anticipation that comes from newly released films will most likely decrease since the audience will already know the plot.