Oscars 2K15

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/oscars/11429020/oscars-2015-pictures-winners-highlights-red-carpet-parties.html

All of The 2015 major academy awards winners pose for a picture after the ceremony.

Robert DeDonatis, Staff Writer

On Feb. 22, 2015, the 87th installment of the annual Academy Awards (The Oscars) was broadcasted across the U.S. However, like most public affairs, controversy was close behind. This time it was not about who won what award – it was about who did not. Mostly white actors and actresses won awards during the ceremony, and many would say that it was rigged, which is not really the case.

Throughout the awards ceremony, there were some funny and memorable moments, but at the same time there was also a discussion of racism, due to the fact that mostly white actors won all the major awards, (best actor, best actress etc.). But this is not the case, as the highest grossing movie with a lead actor who was not white reached 21st top grossing film of the 2014 box office, not to say that it was not a respectable film.

But it is understandable that people would think that the Oscars are a bit rigged, seeing as throughout all the headline making awards, and all the neglected categories, only one black performer won a major award: John Legend’s best original song “Glory,” for the somewhat unrecognized movie Selma.

But all of the information points out that The Oscars are a fair and unbiased event. With the best lead actor in a film award having been given to Eddie Redmayne with his magnificent portrayal of Stephen Hawking in “The Theory of Everything.” Best Actress went to Julianne Moore for her stunning performance in “Still Alice.” Both winning candidates, in many peoples’ opinions, did earn their prestigious honors because of their stellar performances in their respective films.

“Yes, I do feel that The Oscars this year weren’t … diverse enough. I mean, I know there were some good movies and the actors who won were definitely deserving, but only one black person won a major award. To me, it seems like there should be more,” freshman Ben Estrada said.

Whether or not this year’s installment of the academy awards had some hiccups or not, hopefully the 88th edition will offer more diversity with its winners list.