Recap: March 31-April 5

www.cnn.com

Recap: March 30- April 5

Daniela Quijano, Editor

International Affairs

After diplomats negotiated in Switzerland, they came up with a plan for Iran. “Iran would reduce its stockpile of low-enriched uranium by 98% and significantly scale back its number of installed centrifuges. In exchange, the United States and the European Union would lift sanctions that have crippled the country’s economy.”

Kenyan Garissa University College was attacked by  members of the Somalian terrorist group Al-Shabaab. “It started with an explosion and gunshots around 5:30 a.m. Thursday (10:30 p.m. ET Wednesday) at the Kenyan school’s front gates.” The gunmen separated the students according to religions and let the muslims free.

“At least 54 people have died and 15 others are missing after a Russian fishing vessel sank off the Kamchatka Peninsula”.”More than 20 fishing vessels are searching for the 15 people still thought to be missing”

The conflict in Yemen is centered around the confrontation between Shiite rebels and external Arab air forces and fighters loyal to Yemen’s displaced Sunni president. “The Red Cross on Saturday called for an immediate 24-hour ceasefire in battle-torn Yemen, saying many more people recently wounded in airstrikes and ground fighting will die if not tended to soon.”.

“Al Qaeda fighters attacked a prison in the coastal Yemeni city of Al Mukallah early Thursday, freeing at least 270 prisoners”. Attackers took control of government buildings including the city’s central prison.

Domestic Affairs

Governor Jerry Brown “imposed mandatory water restrictions for the first time on residents, businesses and farms, ordering cities and towns in the drought-ravaged state to reduce usage by 25%.”.

The teen stole a car and burglarized a home and later died in a car crash. The teen had been previously denied a heart transplant because he had a criminal record.

“Tong Shao, 20, attended Iowa State University. She was found stuffed in the trunk of her car last September. Police want to question her boyfriend, who returned to China after the killing and disappeared.” The father wants help from the U.S to find the culprit for his daughter’s murder.

“The total eclipse lasted 4 minutes and 43 seconds”. People in the West Coast were able to experience the full lunar eclipse while people in the East Coast only experienced a partial lunar eclipse.

A pediatrician refused to treat a gay couple’s newborn daughter simply because they were gay. Watch the interview here.

“Anthony Ray Hinton went free decades after conviction for two murders. Court ordered new trial in 2014, years after gun experts testified on his behalf. Prosecution moved to dismiss charges this year.”