Lady Cavaliers Kick Off Into Senior Night

Senior soccer players are honored during their last home game
Griffin Byrd
Senior Lenox Balzebre shares a remarkable moment of celebration alongside two of her teammates after a goal is scored during her last home game.

As family and friends spill their excited energy from the bleachers onto the field, the Coral Gables Senior High class of 2024 soccer players gave it their best during their last home game of the season. As these seniors have grown and learned on and off the field, the time has come for which they must part from the team and soak in every last moment.

The ultimatum of their season has arrived after multiple years of learning to manage themselves. On Jan. 16, at precisely 4 p.m. the Gables’ girls soccer team faced Hialeah Gardens on the Gables field, shining the spotlight on the team’s senior players.

Jogging into their positions, seniors were cheered on by the enthusiastic crowd which waved personalized posters for the seniors high in the air. The team prepared themselves as the ball was kicked onto the center of the field and the game began. Quickly into the first half of the game, sophomore Brooke Lawson scored a goal, setting the advantage as they kept countering the Gladiators attack.

“Closing this chapter is scary and sad at the same time because I know I will not have this again. I will miss the bus rides and games but I am excited to move onto something else and I know that being on the team has prepared me more than enough for this next step,” senior Lenox Balzebre said.

Entering the second half of the game, the team made sure to secure the lead as they continued stealing the ball and scoring. With their mighty defensive plays, the Cavaliers blocked every single shot made by the Gladiators, repeatedly swiping the ball onto their side of the field. By the end of the second half, sophomore Brooke Lawson had scored twice more and junior Kyara Cam got her share of goals.

Lady Cavs Soccer Senior Night

“We need to replicate that drive and dedication to constantly get better once they are gone because right now they are always setting the example, reminding us of how much harder we can push and what we can achieve,” sophomore Ainhoa Biagorri said.

Following the tradition, the team knew they needed to have posters and gifts ready for the girls to hand them off after the game. Unexpectedly though, the plans changed. The game was originally supposed to take place on Jan. 19, but it was rescheduled for Jan. 16.

In a last minute effort, the Lady Cavaliers assembled posters, goodies and flowers to be prepared for the seniors’ last moments on the field. Initiating the senior send off, the team and coaches celebrated their win of 6 to 0 and gathered in a circle on the track to commemorate the seniors.

A few members of the team and both coaches delivered heartwarming speeches thanking the seniors for their contributions as well as their hard work and dedication.

“They are such loving and caring people but they still know how to push us. It is very hard when you’re constantly trying to push your friends to do better but they definitely know the difference and they are unfailingly supportive on and off the field,” sophomore Olivia Russo said.

Captain Lenox Balzabre and senior Lea Haddad have left a remarkable impact on their team as they constantly encourage their teammates to put forth maximum effort into every single practice and game. Once they received their gifts, they shared a sentimental moment with their coaches, Alexia “Lex” Clark and Miguel Moreno by taking photos together.

“It will definitely be hard to fill in their shoes when they’re gone because they were such big role models but I think that with what they’ve left is going to lead us to greater things,” sophomore Paz Chico said.

To conclude the festivities, the Lady Cavaliers visited Miami’s Best Pizza, another unique tradition of theirs. Heading into the playoffs, the seniors are owed customized letterman jackets as a final token of appreciation for all they have done.

Gables Soccer Team Goes To Districts
Good luck Lady Cavaliers!