Behind the Purpose of Raising Funds

Juniors gather at the ChillN Nitrogen Ice Cream in Coconut Grove to socialize and support CavsConnect, a student-run publication, during their fundraiser.

Filling the Coconut Grove restaurant with loud banters as students are waiting in line, the ChillN Nitrogen Ice Cream hosted by CavsConnect on Feb. 23, marked the latest fundraising initiative supporting various clubs and sports teams at Coral Gables Senior High.

In the face of insufficient school funding, extracurricular groups now view fundraising as essential rather than optional. Contrary to common assumption, it falls upon the clubs and teams themselves to organize and execute these fundraising efforts, assuming full responsibility for generating the necessary funds to support their activities throughout the school year.

Needing New Equipment Across Sports

Most sports teams are compelled to fundraise due to the goal of buying new equipment for their players to use for practices and games. Several Gables’ teams have grown incredibly with the use of funding for new equipment. Through all funds being organized by Friends of Gables, the first-ever Gables beach volleyball team now competes on their new court with new supplies such as netting and balls all purchased with the use of these funds. Athletic teams raise the majority of their money through Online School Payment fees that are made a requirement when joining the club or team. Another way that teams raise money is through promoting their games with flyers around the campus, and pricing tickets at around $5 each. Tickets for all athletic events are purchased through GoFan.

“I know that as an athlete and a person involved in many clubs, there are many necessities that are not provided by the school that we need the funds for. For example, my cross country team sells chocolates to help lower the costs of uniforms needed for the team, and in yearbook we sell candy to help fund competitions that we submit for each year,” sophomore Samantha Gonzalez said.

Efforts of Fundraising

Competitions

Clubs, sports teams and publications all take the initiative to raise money throughout the school year so that they may be able to participate in costly activities such as competitions. These teams will take it upon themselves to contact and organize the fundraiser school at the location in which they would like for it to be hosted. Publications such as Cavaleon and highlights enter multiple yearly events such as the Florida Scholastic Press Association, where each writing entry is usually somewhere between $10-15, and the Gablettes dance team travels each year to compete in Orlando, Fla., for dancing contests.

“Fundraisers definitely benefit our school in countless ways. For instance, publications such as CavsConnect and CavsTV are always doing fundraisers and they are the one paying for and updating their brand new equipment like cameras, mics, and editing websites,” sophomore Rafael Hanono said.

At school, fundraisers such as car washes clubs host all fill the purpose to reduce the amount of cost for their own necessities.  e they dedicate a few hours to washing cars. The students form an assembly line where each Cavalier is given a specific task, as they wash cars for five dollars. Advertisements for these fundraisers are always posted on several of the school’s Instagram pages in the form of a flyer. These flyers are also posted all around campus with important details including the location, time, and the percentage of proceeds that will go towards the club or sport.

Fundraisers For Grade-Level Fun

The school is indeed funded, but it is merely enough to cover simple school activities that take place throughout the year. Due to this, juniors and seniors are required to each raise and turn in $40 during the beginning of the year. Students are given the opportunity to raise this money  by selling Etta’s bundt cakes. These bundt cakes come in a verity of flavors that students can choose from with a side of frosting for the customer to use as they please. This money goes towards the student leisure events throughout the school year such as senior picnic, class treat days, and being able to go college tours and field trips. For instance, the money raised from selling the bundt cakes contributed to this years class field trips to Bush Gardens and the in-state college tour.

“It is very important that the club or sport sponsors come to me first so that I can make sure that all fundraisers they are trying to host are legal, and so no one club or team is doing the same type of fundraiser on the same day,” student activities sponsor Ms. Suarez said. 

Where should the next Cavsconnect fundraiser be held?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Impacting Coral Gables Community

Select fundraisers focus on raising money for the community as a whole. For instance, this year’s Bridge 4 Peace, hosted by the International Baccalaureate Honor Society, was established to benefit the Linda Rey Intervention Center. Clubs such as Interact helped to fund the Human Rights Campaign on  Valentine’s Day marriage proposals in support of LGBTQ rights.

“Fundraisers like Bridge for Peace help our community as well as our school, as they provide our school with an opportunity to aid individuals who need it. This grants us connections to volunteer places and resources. We also learn the importance of gratefulness and commitment,” junior Nathalie Schwart said.

As several clubs and organizations continue to fundraise money for their teams or Gables as a whole, whether it is new practice equipment or raising enough to enter competitions, Cavaliers continue to take the responsibility upon themselves to ensure that they have a promised spot at all the competitions and activities they would like to participate in.