Bridge for Peace 2024 Compounds Into Charity and Celebration

A student-run night of amusement, Bridge for Peace served more than one purpose
Dimitra Boutsis and Eros Vinnecey
Making funny faces at the camera, these Cavaliers captured their memories of the evening at the photo booth by the entrance.

Amidst a vibrant evening, the International Baccalaureate Honor Society held its annual Bridge for Peace fundraiser, open to the body of Coral Gables Senior High School. Giving back to the community on Feb. 15, Cavaliers’ Bridge for Peace tickets supported a non-profit organization, this year being the Linda Ray Intervention Center. Hosted at the patio of the Coral Gables Museum from 6-8 p.m., Cavaliers enjoyed a night of entertainment while contributing to the local cause.

“Bridge for Peace is my favorite event, because it helps fundraise money for non-profit organizations within and outside our community. It’s a way to get students to think about something bigger than just themselves and to volunteer for other people. It’s a very proud moment for me to see how much the students get involved,” IBHS sponsor Ms. Noval said.

Upon entering the patio, students were greeted by a photo booth, a display of tables and an abundance of food and refreshments. Lights decorated the museum and candles surrounded centerpieces showcasing pictures of the Linda Ray Intervention Center’s children. An array of artworks they created on display caught the attention of guests as it adorned the museum’s windows.

Initiating the evening, the Executive Director of the LRIC, Isabel Chica, conveyed her thanks to everyone present. Explaining the cause’s mission and its newfound partnership with Gables, she emphasized the positive impact being made towards the center and children.

Becoming involved in the community, Monterey brings to the table their art form and voices to provide entertainment and joy for guests. (Dimitra Boutsis and Eros Vinnecey)

“My favorite part of Bridge for Peace was getting to hang out with all my friends, especially the ones I don’t have a lot of classes with. Overall, I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the food, music, fashion show and my amazing friends. The experience made me feel glad to be a Cavalier,” sophomore Avril Donner said.

Bhangra carried on by wowing the crowd with their dance routine. The performance featured sharp dance moves and folk traditions, throwing pop music into the mix. The crowd witnessed a routine that had been perfected over various sessions and drew further attention to the club at Gables.

During the whole of the event, food and drinks were offered to attendees, served by student volunteers, who switched between one-hour intervals. Food and refreshments were donated by restaurants or chains and Cavaliers willing to support the event and provide a personal help.

Throughout the night, two student bands, Channel Five and Monterey, serenaded the crowd with symphonies such as “Kiss Me” and “Just A Girl that had Cavaliers gathering around and dancing along. Wanting to contribute to the event with their music, Monterey lead singer senior Lia Alongi, guitarist senior Vincenzo Domecq, bassist senior Luna Cordoba and drummer senior Maya Funez played until about 7 p.m. Channel Five, Gables’ own band, was composed of lead singer senior Haley Fabling-Gonzalez, guitarist sophomore Nicolas Gertzenstein, bassist junior Stalin Ordonez and drummer senior Rebecca Cubilla, who performed the second half of the night.

“The bands and the fashion show [were] something I really loved. I enjoyed exploring other cultures and learning about them in interactive ways. I was able to get all these different volunteers [to walk] down the runway. We had a total of two practices. One was after school a few days before the event and the second was before Bridge for Peace. I communicated with everybody…to make sure nothing was offensive. [For] the bands I got Lia Alongi and her other band members to come. They sent me their set list and the same thing for Channel Five our school band,” junior Michelle Hernandez said.

Representing their respective countries, Mexico and Jordan, senior Mauricio Quesada and sophomore Jasmin Abu seized their moment through their accessories and attire. (Dimitra Boutsis and Eros Vinnecey)

Emphasizing the international aspect of the event’s host, student volunteers showcased distinct heritages through a fashion show at 7 p.m. The audience was exposed to unique traditions and outfits from various countries such as Cuba, France, Puerto Rico, Spain and Ireland. As students strutted the runway, alone or in pairs based on their country, personal fun facts about them were announced. Representing the fundamentals of each culture, Cavaliers were able to connect with their peers personally based on their background.

“I did the fashion show because a friend told me about it. It was a really spontaneous idea, but I realized why not spread my nationality and ethnicity? As part of a Jordanian traditional outfit, I chose to wear a keffiyeh, a scarf [with] a pattern ethnic to Jordan [where] I was born. My ethnicity is not one that is common, so I [wanted to show] people the cultural diversity I have versus other students…It was a fun experience. The community is super understanding, and I’ll definitely do it next year,” sophomore Jasmin Abu said.

Closing off the night on a positive note, IBHS board seniors Laura Ridoux and Olivia Rebull provided guests with some last words of gratitude. Tireless commitment resulted in yet another successful Bridge for Peace, making over $9,000 in profit for the Linda Ray Intervention Center. Thanks to the efforts and support of Bridge for Peace’s attendees and volunteers, the event was able to provide entertainment with a local cause in mind.