Lady Cavaliers Rebound Into Competition Season

The girls basketball team adjusts to a new scheme
Dribbling+down+the+court%2C+senior+Taylor+Ravello+picks+a+side+to+attack+the+Barracuda+defense+in+the+first+home+exhibition+of+the+season.+
Alexander Pritchett
Dribbling down the court, senior Taylor Ravello picks a side to attack the Barracuda defense in the first home exhibition of the season.

Following the squeaky sound of sneakers on the court, the Cavalier fanbase has assembled in the Coral Gables Senior High gym to cheer on the Lady Cavalier basketball team. The introduction of a new coach has the Lady Cavaliers adjusting to a new lineup and style of play.

Coach Charles Purcell was recently appointed the Lady Cavalier’s head coach in months leading up to the winter season. The girls were able to meet their coach and partake in team outings to familiarize themselves with a new face and personality.

“Considering it is my first year of high school, being a part of the team has definitely helped me socially. I have been able to build great friendships, and I have begun to understand what a good team looks like. It is the supportive and upbringing environment that a team should be,” freshman Sofia Perez said.

Tryouts for junior varsity and varsity girls basketball began on Oct. 5 in the Gables gym and continued every day after school for that week. Coach Charles Purcell deduced each student’s abilities and skills through a series of basketball drills such as shooting, ball handling and a five on five scrimmage.

Since then, team practices are have been held every day of the week. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays they last from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m., while on Tuesdays and Thursdays they take up the same amount of time, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.

The athletes prepare themselves for drills by warming up their muscles. They stretch only briefly and run four laps around the gym. Coach Purcell has the Lady Cavaliers performing lunges, squats, leg raises and high-knees in order to prevent injuries during practice and strengthen their legs.

“This year, I hope we make it to and win districts. It would also be incredible to receive our second honorable mention from Miami Herald,” sophomore Seal Peña said.

A crucial part of the Lady Cavalier’s working chemistry on the court are the plays they run. The most common plays involve one or more Cavaliers in motion. Each play can entail a series of screens or passes before someone shoots the ball.

As a tribute to Allen Iverson, a former professional player, Coach Purcell named one of the plays after this notorious basketball star.  Ensuring that everybody is aware of their position and understands what to do is of upmost importance to the Lady Cavaliers. So, when game time arrives, they can execute the play and score in most possessions.

“Coach Purcell dedicated a lot for the girls team. His quote is ‘I eat, sleep, sweat and think about basketball daily’. He brings confidence that a lot of the girls didn’t have,” senior Mia Aguilar said.

Junior Kamaryia leaps for a potential block against the Barracudas center. (Alexander Pritchett)

Continuing the tradition of leadership, the four seniors on the team are awarded with the special privilege of being co-captains: Chloe Konstas, Mia Aguilar, Savannah Villareal and Taylor Ravello. Their dedication, persistence, effort and sweat have all shaped them into positive examples for their younger teammates

Their first matchup of the season happened to be against the crosstown, Coral Reef Barracudas. Jump starting their season on Nov. 29, the Lady Cavaliers stormed the Gables court at 5:00 p.m., drawing cheers from the crowd.

As the ball travels from one side of the court to the other, encouraging yells remind the players of the close score. Moving the ball and passing efficiently, the Cavaliers were able to sustain a good pace throughout the game. Despite the team’s best efforts, the game ended as an unfortunate loss with a score of 58 to 37 in favor of the Barracudas.

“I want to start scoring more, because I currently do a lot better defensively, so I hope to elevate my offensive game this season. Being on the team has added to my high school experience because I have established such a good relationship with all my teammates” sophomore Veronica Trueba said.

To support the Lady Cavaliers in their upcoming matchups, catch their next home game against versus Saint Brendan on Dec. 8.