Girls Volleyball Team “Set” The Playing Field On Girls Volleyball Senior Night

Andres Florentino
Gathering around, the girls varsity team poses for a picture honoring this special night alongside their beloved seniors.

A moment of silence hits the gym of Coral Gables Senior high. As the crowd watches in anticipation, all that can be heard are the actions of the volleyball and the girls on the court. Approaching the edge of their seats, they feast their eyes, wondering what is about to happen next. On Oct. 10,  junior varsity and varsity went up against the Gators from Barbara Goleman Senior high from 3:30 to 6 p.m. Both teams were successful and closed off their seasons, commemorating their upperclassmen athletes during senior night.

The junior varsity team racked in points winning both of their sets. Set 1 at 24 to 9 and Set 2 at 25 to 19. The varsity team was determined to keep this streak going.

“I believe we were successful because of three things. One, our drive for volleyball…Our bond, we are all really close to each other, so there was no bad blood, which I felt really helped bring this team together and communicate…Lastly, our coach, she really helped bring our energy up and gave the best pep talks,. She knew exactly what we needed to work on and told us where we have to put the ball if we want the point,” junior Hannah Berumen said.

Setting the mood with upbeat music, the varsity team prepared by separating into two lines taking turns, having JV and Coach De La Vega throw volleyballs at them and serving them back.

“Before the game we [senior girls] all went to one of our houses, and we got to get ready together, and it was really fun. It helped strengthen our bond and bring us closer together before the game,” senior Georgia Rau said.

The varsity game started up at 5 p.m. with an iconic senior entrance. Enthusiastic friends and family caught sight of this grand entrance as the team and coaches came together to form a pyramid, making way for the senior girls to pass through.

After causing an uproar, JV hypes up the senior girls moments before their game. (Andres Florentino)

“When they called my name up for senior night, I was very surprised on how many people came. It made me very emotional knowing it was my last home game ever. After seeing previous seniors wearing their crowns, when they placed it on my head, I had realized I made it, and all the hard work I’ve been putting in has paid off,” senior Audrey Noval said.

The volleyball team hyped each other up with cheers and scattered claps, additionally hearing the rumbling from the bleachers. Sophomore Bianca Benson and her serves dominated on the court, scoring points in favor of Gables, reaching 12 to 5. During a short break the team took the time to strategize with their coaches. Providing them with guidance they persevered, and the Gators were having a hard time keeping up. They victoriously ended off the first set at 22 to 12.

“Main advice I give them is to believe in themselves. Both myself and my assistant are constantly telling them how great they are, but that they need to believe it themselves, and that’s what I try and hound every game, ” Coach De La Vega said.

Lady Cavaliers displayed sportsmanship and good collaboration through high fives, huddling after every point and always knowing when to pass the ball. At a score of 11 to 7, they defended the court, barely making the ball over the net at multiple instances. Captain Audrey Noval perfectly serves throughout the set accumulating points leaving them at 19 to 11. The Gators ended up hitting the ball out of bounds, resulting in a red flag, and Gables winning the second set at 25 to 19.

The varsity team celebrates their performance against the gators. (Andres Florentino)

“One of my really close friends on the team [Senior] Audrey Noval, she’s our libero so she only passes as her main job. At the last point of the game, she got to hit, and that ended the point, so I was really happy for her to experience that. She always makes jokes about wanting to be a hitter, and the last point she got to do that which was really nice, ” senior Georgia Rau said.

The encouraged crowd keeps the energy flowing showcasing posters they created to support the team or specific senior members. Starting up their own chants such as “That’s my senior” and matching the respective “senior” night theme.

“Every moment stood out but the main one was Audrey ending the game with a kill as a libero. She doesn’t get the chance often in other games, and all the girls were chanting ‘set Audrey’, ” Coach De La Vega said.

Leading into the third set strong, Gables scores the first point. Gators trailed not so far behind, catching up at 5 to 7. Gables rises back up 6 to 7 with very supportive loud cheers after strong plays, keeping them motivated. After an anxious match between both teams, Gables wins all three of their sets, followed up by music to celebrate their victory.

Once the game was over, the seniors were presented with gifts, an ongoing tradition to commemorate their accomplishments on the team. Senior parents are called up to the court alongside their daughters to take photos and celebrate this extra special evening.

Each underclassmen on the team was assigned a senior, and it was up to them to demonstrate how much the seniors meant to them with posters, goodie baskets and heartfelt speeches. Many cried, reflecting on their moments together holding them near and dear to their hearts.

Having gotten to know their senior girls personally, JV surprise them with especially curated gifts. (Andres Florentino)

“The moment that I will remember forever is when my coach gave me a special gift with a note attached to it. Monica [De La Vega] gave me a blanket with me and Avery [Felix] on it along with action pictures of me, and the note was very heartwarming. Having this coach for four years and really creating a bond between us, I’m going to miss her very much, ” senior Audrey Noval said.

Reuniting with friends and family, this was truly a memorable night for the varsity seniors as this is was their last home game of the season. Through many wins and few losses they all support each other regardless. Giving it their all, they have left their mark as Cavalier athletes.