Gables Basketball Takes on Southwest

Vanessa Grau, Staff Writer

The Cavaliers’ basketball season has just begun, and all Gables teams are off to a great start. All teams have played against last seasons top competitors and have had outstanding results. On Thursday, Nov. 30, the girls’ junior varsity (JV) and varsity teams played a home game against Southwest in their fifth game of the season from 6:00-9:00 pm. The boys’ JV and varsity basketball teams also played at Gables against Southwest on Friday, Dec. 1, from 6:00- 9:00 pm in their third game of the season.

Girls JV Basketball:

Gables’ first game against Southwest was a success for the Girls JV team with a final score of 46-13. Gables started off strong with 13 points in the first quarter, Southwest not having scored yet. By halftime, the Lady Cavs had increased their lead with the scoreboard now showing 26-4. At the end of the third quarter, Gables was still in the lead with 39 points while Southwest had just 6. Nothing could stop the Lady Cavs as they ended the game with a strong, 33 point lead over Southwest. Throughout the game, sophomores Tiffany Mason, Zoe Villafane and Graciela Morejon led the balanced scoring attack with 7 points each. Morejon also led the team in rebounding with 6 rebounds.

Girls Varsity Basketball:

The girls’ varsity then had their turn against Southwest. Gables’ Lady Cavs ended the first quarter tied with Southwest at 4 points each. Reaching the end of halftime, Gables had 8 points while Southwest had 15. Southwest was leading for the rest of the game, ending the third quarter with 23 points while Gables trailed with 12. The final score for the game was 30-20, with Southwest finishing with the win. Senior Isis Billings and freshman Madeline Cohen led Gables in scoring with 6 points apiece.

“I am on the girls’ varsity basketball team, and I feel like we played well as a team. Although we lost, we tried hard and did our best. Being on varsity is fun, we work and train all the time, even on the weekends and on Thanksgiving break. The coaches are amazing and I have great teammates. I am a better defensive player than offensive. I am really proud of myself for scoring. I love seeing the crowd standing up and cheering us on after we score. The JV girls had a good game, Marie and Tiffany did amazing,” freshman Madeline Cohen said.

Boys JV Basketball:

The boys’ JV teams from Gables and Southwest were tied throughout most of the first three quarters of the game. The Cavs took over the court in the last quarter of the game leading to a victory for Gables. The boys’ JV basketball team defeated Southwest’s JV team, 53-43. There were exemplary performances from many players in the game. One of the top players was Cameron Payne, who scored 8 points. Jorge Morales scored 9 points, making him the second top scorer, and the leading scorer was Tavoris Miller, who led the team by scoring 16 points for the win.

“As of right now, Coral Gables Basketball teams are in a good state. JV came out with a pretty easy win. There were some mishaps, but as a whole, they gave Southwest the work. JV with a record of 3-0 are on their way to be the district’s best. Adding to that, Varsity Basketball is also showing success and promise. Off a double-overtime win against Southwest, they are now 3-0 as well. They play with speed, ready to blow teams out of the water. Both JV and varsity will put the district on notice real soon,” sophomore Christian Segurola said.

Boys Varsity Basketball: 

The basketball game against Southwest was definitely an interesting one for the boys’ varsity players. Both teams battled throughout the entirety of the game with everything they had and the scores were very close. Gables and Southwest kept the scoreboard balanced throughout the entire game, leading into an overtime period. The Cavs continued to keep the score even, eventually causing a second overtime. Ending with their third win of the season, the Gables boys’ varsity team beat Southwest 57-49 in double-overtime. Chris Brown led the team to the win with 22 points and 12 rebounds and Josh Dawkins led the team in assists with 6 while also scoring 8 points on his own. The Cavs are excited to continue outshining other teams throughout the season.

The girls’ JV team has won 3 out of 5 games and the girls’ varsity has won 1 out of 5 games. They are continuing the season with high hopes. The girls’ teams are set to play an away game against Lourdes on Tuesday, Dec. 5. Both the boys’ JV and varsity teams are undefeated and ready to show their opponents everything that they’ve got. Their next game is an away game against Columbus on Wednesday, Dec. 6. Support the girls and boys Gables Basketball teams at their future games and show your Cav spirit. Click the links to learn more about the girls and boys upcoming basketball games. GO CAVS!