DOs and DON’Ts of a First Date

Albany Muria, Staff Writer

A first date: a day filled with excitement, expectations, and the possibility of finding your true love, or maybe just making a new friend. Although this day may also be filled with many fears, insecurities, and apprehension, it may very well end up being one that you will never forget. Whether you are an adult looking for your soul mate, or a teenager looking for their high school sweetheart, make sure to follow these tips for an ideal first date.

DO’s:

1. Be yourself. This may sound cliché, but this is best for both you and the other person. It will ensure the person you are spending time with will get to know who you really are, and it will allow you to feel more comfortable.
  2. Wear proper clothing. Although you may want to look your very best, make sure that whatever you are wearing is comfortable for you. There is no point in wearing 6 inch heels if you can barely walk in them, or a skirt that is too short if you are going to be sitting down. Preferably, wear clothing that will not only appeal to you, but will also make you have a calm, worry-free time.
  3. Arrive on time. There is nothing worse than showing up late to a date. Aside from this being your first impression, you may not want the other person to think that you will arrive late to your other dates, if that applies. Being late to the date also implicates that you are not interested in even attending. But if the unexpected happens and it is out of your control just remember, ‘Better Late than Never’.
  4. Good hygiene: Make sure you spray on your favorite perfume or cologne. This will ensure that you smell extra nice when giving that special person a hug or maybe even a kiss. Also, it won’t hurt to bring mints or gum for fresh smelling breath.  Senior Matthew Gonzalez says, “Usually on a first date, I don’t give a kiss, but their breath has to smell good because if it smells bad I don’t want to have to be covering my nose while talking to them.”
  5. Bring cash. Even though it is polite for the gentleman to pay, girls should bring money just in case. Sometimes, an instance can occur where the guy may “accidentally” forget. In this case, at least you know that the bill will be payed.

DON’Ts:

1. Panic. Remember that the first date may end up being one of many. Panicking can lead to disasters such as tripping on a cable, sweating, or even farting accidentally.
  2. Mention exes. Your past relationship should stay in the past. The person that you are getting to know doesn’t need the details on why your past relationship didn’t work. This may give off  the impression that you are still not over your ex.
  3. Don’t chew with your mouth open. If you go out to dinner as a first date, make sure you don’t chew with your mouth open or make loud sounds. Not only is it bad manners and unattractive, but it will most likely annoy and scare your date away.
  4. Be too clingy. Constantly texting or calling the person after the date can come across as annoying, and in some cases, even creepy. Talking about things too far into the future will make your date think you are moving way too fast. Try to take things slow, one step at a time. Everything will come  when the time is right, and if it is meant to be, it will happen.
  5. Be too serious. Try to engage in various conversations with the person, this will prevent the  awkward silence. Try to make the person laugh and smile. Being playful can indicate confidence and allows you to be a little more comfortable with the person. Freshman Rommel Ricalde says, “Not being too serious and making your date laugh will give the impression you aren’t someone boring to be around.”

Basically, remember that first dates are meant to be fun and exciting. Don’t be afraid; this is a time to spend with a person that later on can essentially be someone significant in your life. Make sure to enjoy your first date because you will remember every bit of it.