World AIDS Day

Maria F. Estrada, Staff Writer

On Monday, Oct. 21, people gathered worldwide for the 35th annual World AIDS Day. This day is celebrated to honor those whom have suffered, but it is also honored to science that has discovered an anti-viral treatment for HIV.

The latest innovative proof of the AIDS treatment shows that starting anti-viral treatment immediately after the initial infection, medically benefits the person diagnosed and their uninfected sexual partner. There are various clinical trials that demonstrate that being exposed to PrEP or prophylaxis, a very efficient form of HIV prevention, highly reduces the chances of getting HIV. These solutions are all capable of reducing the amount of deaths caused by HIV– the only problem is when this solution can be funded.

“Everyone should globally be able to be provided with medication that will improve health despite cost; it should be a priority,” freshman Nicole Verdesoto said.

Although America is currently at the peak with the medicine to diminish the inflicting pain AIDS causes, Americans are yet to find a way to economically provide the medicine. The cost of these drugs has been many patients’ strain from getting better. The only question now to move forward is when the goal can be accomplished, for many await for this scientific process to be accomplished so that many lives can be saved.  Statistics shown from UNAIDS showing that 1.2 million with HIV died and another 2 million became infected 2014. These numbers  prove that this discovery needs to move forward and funding should be the first step.

“People are dying in America because they can’t afford to pay the outrageous prices for medicine they need to live. In the richest nation in the world, we must do everything possible to get people the medicine they need at a price they can afford,” the Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders added in a CNN article, noting one in five Americans — 35 million people — are unable to afford to fill their prescriptions.

The American people honored the fact there is solution to an international problem. However, many still are hoping that this resolution be affordable and available for all and the AIDS chapter comes to an end.