UnderCover Color

James Burke

Once this nail polish interacts with a contaminated drink, it changes the color to alert the wearer that their drink contains the date rape drug.

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

Recently, four male college students from North Carolina State University (NCSU) created a new nail polish called “UnderCover Color.” This new nail polish was created to alert the wearer when their drink has been contaminated with date rape drugs, including Rophenol, Xanax and Gamma Hydroxybutyric (GHB). The inventors’ aim is “to shift the fear from the victims to the perpetrators,” as posted on their Facebook page.

Rophenol, Xanax and GHB are pills that dissolve in liquids, and are sometimes used to aid rapists in carrying out sexual assault (i.e. any type of sexual activity that the person does not agree to). These drugs usually have no color, taste, or smell and cause loss of muscle control, nausea and loss of consciousness.

How does “UnderCover Color” nail polish work? Well, all one does is dip an “UnderCover Color” painted finger into their drink and then the nail polish will turn a different color if the drink is contaminated. This gives the user a discrete way of making sure there are no date rape drugs in their drink.

“[I’m] excited for this product because not only will it make [me] feel safer, but [I’m] also intrigued about other similar products [that] will be made in the future,” freshman Amanda Rudin said.

In Florida alone, in the year 2012, the FBI released statistical data showing that there were 23,889 rapes; that’s 123.7 rapes per every 100,000 inhabitants. With this new product, the young men posted on their Facebook page that their purpose “is to invent technologies that empower women to protect themselves from this heinous and quietly pervasive crime.”

“The nail polish will be really helpful to our community. It can prevent all types of unpleasant sexual encounters and it will give women the power and confidence of being safe when out and about,” sophomore Mark Braun said.

If one believes that he or she is a victim of the date rape drug, the following is suggested:

• Get medical care right away at the nearest hospital or health care facility.
  • Call the police and let them know what happened.
  • Have your urine tested- Rophenol can be detected up to 72 hours after use.

Get counseling and treatment- Call 1 (800) 656-HOPE.