A Sea of Students

When walking the Gables hallways, take time to notice the miscellany of teens that roam about.

Natalia Clement

Natalia Clement, Staff Writer

If you’ve ever seen High School Musical, you’d remember the big cafeteria number where all the students try to convince their own clique members to “stick to the status quo.” Although Gables has a less strict social grouping process (we don’t break out into tragic dance if the preppy girl starts dating the art boy), you tend to notice the differences among the types of students.

1. Slackers – Ah, the slackers. They seem to have a special place in our hearts, squeezing out answers and work they need to copy at the last minute. The way that they keep up with school is using minimal effort, yet how they manage to pass is still a mystery to all the over-achievers.

2.Try-hards – When we were little, being called a try-hard in school was one of the biggest insults. Now, the try-hards are paving their way to the Ivy Leagues, making others wish they put that much effort into their school work. Occasionally, the label is still thrown around, but over-achieving should be considered the emblem of a bright future.

“Everyone is a slacker at some point, and I know I’ve been there more than once. However, a ‘try-hard’ is just a label, and I personally believe that these are the people that are very sensitive when it comes to school work so they want to go above and beyond. I think it’s annoying when they’re excessively public about it and brag around people, but if they keep to themselves I admire them for succeeding as much as they have. I like to be an average student, and not overly obsess about school work when I know I’ve tried my best,” sophomore Gaby Sanchez said.

3. Druggies – We can all pin point the druggies; it’s almost like a magical teenage gift in which we know all too well when someone took a hit or two before school. They, for the most part, are laid back, which makes their friend groups have a calm vibe. They get by in schoolwork and have fun on their free time — no harm, no foul.

“I don’t mind them, but they’re making a bad impression on themselves. They can sometimes be noticeable, but for the most part just have an attitude where they don’t care about anything. In school, they get by depending on how addicted they are, but most of them don’t make it very far,” freshman Jenevy Nunez said.

4. The (entitled) IB students – You can hear the acronyms being thrown around in their conversations. Stress levels are constantly being topped and the limits of a bad procrastination habit are tested with the pressure of deadlines. There’s high pride in being an IB student because of the amount of strenuous effort needed in the work one produces. Also, let’s not forget the never ending tension of whether or not IB students have a “special treatment”, or if they think higher of themselves than the students in other academies. Regardless of how they’re viewed, IB kids stick together, especially to cram for their next big test.

“Being an IB student is difficult at first, especially if you’re used to not having to do much for good grades, but you get used to it. I think we’re different in the sense that we tend to juggle more. Being an IB student isn’t just schoolwork; most of us are in clubs, do sports, or work. IB students do stick together. These four years have made us one big family,” senior Maria Franco said.

5. Everyone Else – Welcome to normality, where the remaining part of the school’s population strives to do decently, be a part of their academy, take a couple of AP and honors classes here and there, and calmly enjoy what high school has to offer.

The school’s academic balance is at peace when each individual sticks with his or her role in it. Just remember: try to not get lost in the roaring sea of students.