The Boys Soccer Team Humbles their “Rivals”

+Sky+Carrizo+dribbles+through+Maimis+defensive+line+and+prepares+to+propel+the+ball+into+their+net.+
Jennifer Fundora
Sky Carrizo dribbles through Maimi’s defensive line and prepares to propel the ball into their net.

Coral Gables Senior High’s boys soccer team torched their rival Miami High School in an overwhelming 4 to 1 victory. Through a gritty game, Gables emerged victorious, pushing their winning record to 4 and 2.

On Dec. 4 at 2:00 p.m., Gables walked to their field to prepare for their 3:30 p.m. matchup against Miami High. The Cavaliers pridefully dressed in crimson uniforms to display their home colors on their turf.

The sun beamed searingly over the Cavaliers as they began their warm up routines. Littered across the field, players practiced their dribbling, passing and accuracy. Although Miami High set up on the other side of the pitch, the rivaling teams created a tense atmosphere between the two benches. The bleachers filled up with enthusiastic parents and students ready to witness the clash of two rivaling teams.

Gables’ Coach Michel Fotso designated four players on defense, three in the midfield and two strikers in the wings. Miami held a similar formation to counter the Cavaliers.

“Our team is experiencing an ascending curve, and I expect my players to continue to build on the success that we have accomplished. Miami High has always been a rival, but this does not affect my players. We focus on ourselves and what we can improve on,” Coach Fotso said.

Cristobal Osorio holds back Miami offense as he struggles to reclaim the ball. (Jennifer Fundora)

Red and white jerseys diffused across the field as the sound of a whistle commenced the game. The Stingrays started with possession and quickly awoke the Cavaliers as they rushed into Gables territory. Commanding shouts from Coach Fotso ordered his defensive line into position as they regained possession and initiated their own counter-offensive.

In the following minutes, Miami set the precedent for offensive trends and pressured Gables defense. Taking advantage of Miami High’s overreaching offense, striker Sky Carrizo sprinted down the field once Gables regained the ball. He dribbled skillfully within the interior of the defense and found a goal from the left side of the field into the top right corner of the net, putting Gables in front, 1 to 0. The crowd cheered and the excited team huddled around Carrizo in thrilled red waves.

“Going against a rival made me excited, and although I knew we were prepared to beat them, I couldn’t wait to start scoring on them. My first goal really got the team warmed up, and we started playing better because of it. I may have scored the goal, but my teammates were essential every step of the way,” junior Sky Carrizo said.

Isaac Herrera takes a deep offensive dive into the Stingrays’ side in preparation for a shot on goal. (Jennifer Fundora)

Following the goal, Gables began to harmonize on the pitch, flowing flawlessly between each other and passing with perfection. Gables demonstrated astute defense during the final minutes of the half and beginning of the second half.

As minutes waned in the second half, midfielders started aggressively pushing into the Stingrays’ defense,  allowing strikers to gain valuable positioning deep within the field. Striker Isaac Herrera positioned himself in the unguarded right wing where he received a through ball pass by midfielder Anthony Roles-Fotso. Herrera kicked the ball into the right corner of the net which secured yet another goal for Gables, who leaded 2 to 0.

Desperate and provoked, the Stingrays initiated a high risk assault upon the defensive line, quickly scoring their first and last goal on Gables turf.

“We knew we had to go in level-headed and fight just as hard as them. Our defense really excelled in holding back strikers and getting the ball back in our possession. I think the team needs to improve on its chemistry and keeping composed during demanding parts of the game,” senior Anthony Roles-Fotso said.

Although the fourth quarter was coming to a close, Gables’ strikers displayed lack of satisfaction in their goal count. Strikers continuously pressured Miami’s defense and came close to three goals in the first five minutes of the fourth quarter.

Defensive desperation resulted in a foul by the Stingrays’ center back, and Herrera was awarded one penalty shot. The atmosphere tensed within the crowd and silence ensued. The whistle was blown, Herrera jogged up to the ball and propelled it into the top left corner of the net leaving the goalkeeper on the ground and his team in amazement. The score was 3 to 1.

“I was initially nervous knowing I was playing against friends on the rival team, but at the same time it awakened my competitive side. In my opinion, I played well, but I really need to be more clinical in my finishing. I never stopped trying, I kept shooting and with enough pressure I was able to score two goals,” senior Isaac Herrera said.

With six minutes left on the clock, Carrizo solely dribbled through all three defenders and launched the ball through the goalkeepers hands into the net, putting Gables 4 to 1. Carrizo had dealt the finishing blow.

Gables’ soccer team huddled together after another victory for the 2023 season. United as one, they rejoiced in the honor of achievement. With anticipation and a competitive spirit, players prepared for their game against Palmer Trinity on Dec. 7.