The 2020 Super Bowl: How Super Was It?

The+2020+Super+Bowl+featured+the+quickest+offensive+team+in+the+league%2C+the+Kansas+City+Chiefs%2C+and+one+of+the+fiercest+defensive+teams+in+the+San+Francisco+49ers.+

Allegra Sharp

The 2020 Super Bowl featured the quickest offensive team in the league, the Kansas City Chiefs, and one of the fiercest defensive teams in the San Francisco 49ers.

Allegra Sharp, Staff Writer

Every year, the football fanatics of America come together to watch one of the most action-packed showdowns at the end of the football season. The 2020 Super Bowl was an epic showdown between two of the fiercest teams in the National Football League (NFL): the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Fransisco 49ers. Both teams came in strong during the 2019-2020 season, looking to leave their mark on the national scale in the highly-recognized NFL Super Bowl.

After winning the coin toss, the 49ers executed a three-and-out in order to score points to start the game off strong in the first quarter. The first half of the game was a consistent back-and-forth between the two teams.

At the end of the first quarter, the Chiefs had earned the first touchdown of the game, giving them an early 7-3 lead. However, both teams were tied at 10 apiece to end the second quarter as America waited for the most anticipated halftime show in Miami.

“I was completely blown away during that halftime show. I thought that it was so incredible. The performance, as well as the  Chiefs’ comeback, really showed how great this Super Bowl was,” freshman Melina Telleria said.

One of the most memorable parts of the Super Bowl, every single year, is the incredible halftime show. The 2020 performance was no exception. With Jennifer Lopez (JLo) and Shakira headlining the show and additional performances from Bad Bunny, J Balvin, and Jennifer Lopez’s 11-year-old daughter, Miami was, in Layman’s terms, lit.

This year, the Super Bowl was actually one of the best games that I have ever watched. I really enjoyed the halftime show and was a little bit upset with the outcome of the game, but all the players worked hard and you could see that in the way that they performed

— Valerian Galeano

The show consisted of a series of the singers’ hit songs and an overall lively performance. The duo of Shakira and JLo  had the crowd cheering and on their feet for the entirety of the show and the media going ballistic. The 2020 halftime show was nothing short of an incredible way to celebrate the 54th Super Bowl.

After the wild halftime performance closed out, the third quarter had begun with the Chiefs and the 49ers still tied. The 49ers received the opening kickoff and rushed for a 42-yard field goal from Robbie Gould, the team’s placekicker. 49er running back Raheem Mostert pushed his team further in the lead with a 1-yard touchdown rush in the finishing minutes of the quarter. In a wild sequence of events, it seemed like all hope was lost for the Arrowhead fan base.

Although America had already counted out the Kansas City Chiefs, quarterback Patrick Mahomes took over. The former NFL Most Valuable Player (MVP) completed four consecutive passes that brought the Chiefs to the 49ers’ 10-yard line. Two plays later, Mahomes threw a 5-yard touchdown pass to running back Damien Williams.

The officials had ruled the play on the field however, they did review the play in order to see if it was out of bounds. Much to the disappointment of the 49ers, the play stood. It was all downhill from there for the 49ers. With a strong sense of urgency, the Chiefs relied on “hurry-up-offense” to come back. The Chiefs’ defense had a turnover on downs that led to their inevitable win, after which, Williams scored another touchdown with a 38-yard touchdown run.

In a sequence of events wilder than the halftime show, the victory of the 2020 Super Bowl was awarded to the Kansas City Chiefs, as they stunned the world with a final score of 31 points for the Chiefs and 20 points for the San Francisco 49ers.

Many of the viewers of the 54th Super Bowl have said that this was one of the most exciting football games of all time. Between the entertaining and colorful halftime show, to the last-minute and suspenseful final victorious plays, the 2020 Super Bowl was truly super.