Gables Cavaliers Rush to Victory Against South Miami Cobras

Samantha Valero

Great victory for the Cavaliers. Final score: 28-0.

Samantha Valero, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2014, at Curtis Park at 7:00 p.m., the Cavaliers played against the South Miami Cobras. With a winning score of 28-7 , it is clear that our football players aren’t having much trouble against opposing schools.

“Overall, the game was good – offense and defense – but we had some turnovers that we need to fix and we just need to keep working hard… The storm is coming – other teams are going to feel it from now on,” junior quarterback Vashon “Bubba” Waders (#17) said.

In the first quarter of the game, there was a 15 minute lightning warning, and so it was postponed just seconds before the game was scheduled to start. Throughout the first and second quarters, both teams were holding their defenses, and so the quarters both ended scoreless.  In the second quarter, there was another lightning delay of 30 minutes, causing the game to be postponed further.

“It was a strange night, [with] three lightning delays, but when we came out it [came down to] who wanted it more, and we came out and took the game, but we can improve and see if we can make corrections for the Killian game,” Coach Miller said.

In the third quarter, wide receiver Kamore Gamble scored the first touchdown of the game, giving Gables a score of 7-0. Halfway through the quarter, Damon Fuller (#81) rushed a 7-yard pass by Waders. At the end of the third quarter, James Jackson had a fumble recovery, scoring yet another touchdown for Gables and setting the score to14-0, and within the last few seconds Hans Supre (#22) dashes a 15 yard run, ending the quarter at 21-0.  In the final quarter, Fuller finished the game with a pass from Waders, giving the Cavaliers another touchdown, and ending the game with a score of 28-7.

“The game was really good, even after the slight delay. Overall, it was a really good game – so great to see some cavalier spirit, even on a stormy night,” freshman Edwin Luna said.

Overall, the Cavaliers did really well – offensively and defensively. Be sure not to miss the next game at Tropical Park on Wednesday, October 8 at 7:00 p.m. against the Killian Cougars!