Making Uniform Unique

Maria F. Estrada, Staff Writer

Fashion can be found everywhere, and to students wearing a uniform has never stopped them from incorporating their own style. All around the Gables campus, students have found their unique way to accessorize without being penalized for not following the uniform code. Depending on ones taste, you can add accessories like  jewelry or a trendy jacket. Just remember: you’ll always look better following school rules! Here are some ways to complement your daily school wear:

Anna de la O wearing her fashionable jacket accompanied by her uniform.
Maria F. Estrada
Freshman, Anna De la O is wearing her fashionable jacket accompanied by school uniform.

Jackets: Jackets are the most simple yet pleasing way to add to your uniform. They can vary from cute,
thicker jackets to cuddle with in class, to thinner ones to protect from the Miami sun. Thicker jackets are a great fashionable companion if most of your classes are cold. Forever 21 has thousands of choices to pick from for a reasonable price on their online site or your local store!

“Forever 21 has so many choices to please everyone’s taste. Don’t know what my closet would do without it,” freshman Yasmin Cubas said.

Gables students wearing their stylish flats and Sperry's!
Maria F. Estrada
Gables students wearing their stylish flats and Sperry’s!

Shoes: Shoes are a great way to promote fashion while making sure they are closed toed. There are many sneakers that go with our school colors and are very comfortable! Flats are also a very easy way to dress up your uniform seeing that they can be found in many colors at an economic price.  Designer Shoe Warehouse (DSW) is a recommended store that offers a variety of flats that are guaranteed to suit your feet. Closed toe shoes are always the safe and cozy way to go!

Simple yet cozy jeans worn by a Gables student.
Maria F. Estrada.

Jeans: Although jeans tend to be bothersome for many, cozy jeans are a girl’s best friend in frosty classrooms. However, not all type of jeans are allowed in school. For example, jeans with rips aren’t permitted, but that shouldn’t stop you from wearing high-waisted or patched boyfriend jeans! Hollister has many options to choose from and measures to suit every body. If you prefer a less expensive store, Charlotte Russe also has affordable choices that could please you and your pocket. Both stores are great options, but it’s all up to you!

“Hollister has amazing quality jeans and I’d say they’re definitely worth investing in!” senior Giselle Gonzalez said.

Uniforms have been around for a long time, and are a great way to set order in our school grounds. You can always maintain this tradition while still incorporating it with your fashion sense. These are just some ways to touch up your uniform, but you can definitely make it your own with other accessories.  Remember, you can never be too cool for school!