Ways to Give Back during the Holidays

Sofia Bratt

Support Our Sports (SOS) Club is donating sports balls to the Boys & Girls Club of Miami-Dade.

Sofia Bratt, Staff Writer

Many Cavaliers are extremely lucky to have available shelter, food and education. However, other people struggle to obtain these basic necessities on a daily basis. During the holidays, students look forward to receiving wonderful gifts from their loving families, and forget that many adults and even children have no place to live or a family to enjoy their holidays with. Instead of just receiving presents this year, give back to the less fortunate in your community. Here are a few ways you can help people in need this holiday season:

• Adopt a Bear: This incredible non-profit campaign created by CBS-4 News Chief Investigative Reporter Michele Gillen, is dedicated to putting an end to child abuse. Every adopted teddy bear helps comfort a child who has been abused, neglected and/or abandoned. The special part about this campaign is that a child can give the teddy bear to another child in need, creating an unbreakable bond between the young individuals. If you would like to Adopt a Bear, simply visit the attached link and the campaign will assist you in finding a special place for your wonderful gift.
  • Donate Clothes & Other Items to Goodwill: Not only is Goodwill one of the biggest organizations available for donations year-round, but it is also dedicated to providing rehabilitation, work experience and placement services to people in the community with disabilities and special needs. There are several Goodwill trucks in South Florida where you can stop by to donate clothes and several other items.

“I donate all of my old clothes to Goodwill; plus I go to their shop and I buy the cutest clothes for less than $5.00,” junior Charlotte Leforiestier said.

• Donate Sport Balls for Children in Need: If you’re simply too busy during the holidays, there’s no need to go out of your way to make a heartfelt donation. Gables’ Support Our Sports (SOS) Club is holding a sports ball drive for the Boys & Girls Club of Miami-Dade. You can donate tennis balls, basketballs or footballs, and in return you will receive 3 hours of community service per ball! The donation boxes are located in Dr. Payne, Mr. Molina, Ms. De La Vega, Ms. Ginsberg, Ms. Hoffman and Ms. Marmesh’s rooms.
  • Feed the Homeless: A heartwarming organization known as The Homeless Voice feeds up to 500 people daily and gives 45,000 meals to the homeless each month. In addition to providing daily meals for the homeless, they also provide them with “social and noncompulsory religious services.” If you want to spend your Christmas day differently this year, The Homeless Voice is holding their annual holiday breakfast lunch and dinner; you can sign up to donate $20 to give those in need an unforgettable holiday or volunteer to spend your day feeding the homeless.

These are a few simple ways to give back, as well as receive satisfaction through doing something good this holiday season. Every little thing has the potential to make the biggest difference!