Ms. Sanz’s College Presentations Guide College-Bound Cavaliers

Posing+with+her+students+during+the+2022-2023+college+photo+booth%2C+Ms.+Sanz+reflects+on+all+the+lives+she+touched+upon+and+the+paths+she+helped+pave.+
CavsTV
Posing with her students during the 2022-2023 college photo booth, Ms. Sanz reflects on all the lives she touched upon and the paths she helped pave.

The process of applying to and choosing universities is a task that all academically dedicated students must endure. Considering the many crucial aspects of university, whether they be finances, applications, or ensuring that the school is a good fit, it is a common feeling among students to feel stressed and pressured. Having a relatable and educated mentor to guide them through this process is exactly what students can count on.

“Ms. Sanz has helped me a lot. She loves doing this, and she knows a lot about it, and she can really connect with our generation. Since she is also a Gables’ alum, she knows majority of the teachers, and she can connect with us on a deeper level as a Cavalier, giving us great advice, since she knows the school as much as we do” senior Madison Mendoza said.

Ms. Sanz de Acedo, a graduate of the Gables’ class of 2015 now leads current Cavaliers as the College Assistance Program Advisor. In her earlier Cavalier years, she excelled in her academics as a International Baccalaureate student and showcased her talent as a dancer for Gables’ own Gablettes. Expressing her tremendous dedication as a member of the team, this effort landed her the position as captain of the team by her senior year, a well deserved and well respected title.

As CAP advisor, Ms. Sanz promises an open door policy, where students are welcome to walk into her classroom at any time, with any questions. All students have access to her open Q&A, an online google form that allows Cavaliers to present their questions whenever they need to, promoting a platform of open ended communication. When it comes to all things college, Ms. Sanz stands ready to lend a helping hand to her students. From financial aide, waiver fees, letters of recommendation, to their meaningful journey as university applicants, Ms. Sanz is their rock throughout this process.

“She understands what it is like to be a student in the International Baccalaureate program, and she definitely obtains the student point of view as well. She has also helped me feel a lot more comfortable throughout this process, really taking her time to make sure I am following through with all the applications and that I am confident in my decisions” senior Audrey Lezcano said.

Ms. Sanz has recently welcomed a variety of college representatives, allowing them to meet and present their university to Gables’ students. Sophomores, juniors and seniors can sign up to attend these presentations, granting them the opportunity to receive details specific to any university. While representatives offer their school’s appeals, students gather information and are given the chance to ask questions. Students may also give their contacts to schools, in order to receive updates and in-depth details particular to any school. The representatives elaborate on their application process, deadlines and what catches their eye in a student, by using powerpoint presentations, or by simply speaking to the group.

“I think it’s great that they get to meet in person and put a face to the application, usually the person who comes in is the one that will be reading their applications. It allows them to put a person to test scores, GPA’s, and essays; and I really like that these presentations give students an insight to different schools that they may have not heard of before. Everyone always knows the big name schools, but maybe they haven’t heard of the smaller ones or the ones outside of Florida,” Ms. Sanz said.

These presentations communicate detailed aspects of the school such as their specializations and their students’ extracurriculars and social lives. The open atmosphere is one that can gives students the advantage to gain information about the university, especially those that are not very well known. Allowing for a more personal interaction, Cavaliers are able to envision their future selves as part of these schools, paving the way for an easier transition into their next home. Among the many privileges that students who attend Sanz’s presentations have, their applications will be read by the same spokesmen who come in allowing these representatives to put a face to the information.

“I got the chance to ask more questions that were very focused. I think it’s incredible that there are so many schools that come. People get the chance to test the waters and it allows you the space to really investigate and to be more sure of your decisions when you begin applying” senior Santiago Rigaldo said.

How beneficial do you think the college presentations are?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Cavaliers are now equipped with all the skills and information that may need in order to ensure a smooth process applying to and choosing the best-fit university for them. As early as sophomore year, students are able to open up their mind to all the possibilities that lie ahead of them. Having the chance to meet face to face with the college representatives not only allows room for questions, but also for a chance to execute demonstrated interest. Ms. Sanz and her students create an unequaled bond of trust throughout their application process and beyond their academic life.

If you wish to register for a college visit, sign up through Scoir under “Visits & Deadlines.”