Connecting with your roots

Joshua Zambrano

Sophomore Joshua Zambrano enjoyed connecting with his family ever since he was a small boy.

Daniela Quijano, Editor

A person is not simply defined by their favorite food, their favorite color or perhaps their favorite book.  Perhaps, one of the factors that best defines who someone is lies in their culture and ancestry.  Consequently, it is crucial to remain aware of one’s roots and heritage in order to be in tune with oneself.

Miami is a place that could be described as a “melting pot” where different cultures come together. However, Miami’s multicultural environment sometimes makes it difficult for one to remain connected to their culture due to the ease with which one is able to assimilate elements from neighboring cultures.

“Although I still feel like I have a connection with my native culture, it’s not as strong as it used to be. However, considering the fact that I was born in America and have always been immersed in American culture, I can’t say I had a very strong connection to begin with,” senior Julio Membreno, who is originally from Nicaragua, said.

Perhaps, the most important way to  remain  connected to a particular culture is by preserving one’s native language. A language is not simply a way to communicate with other people, but it is a way to change the way you think. Research has shown that the brain adapts to the language one speaks, thus, keeping a native language alive will not only help you communicate better, but also understand the way people from the same culture think.  Some ways to do this include speaking to family members in their native language or perhaps attempting to befriend those that speak the same native language.

“Speaking your native language helps you feel more connected to your culture. Language is fundamental to the growth of culture and embracing one’s heritage,” junior Joseph Villafañe said.

Although it may sometimes seem like a tedious task, connecting with your ancestry is the key to discovering who you truly are. The best way to do this is to ask those closest to you about relatives from previous generations and where they came from. You might find some interesting facts about your ancestors!

“In my opinion, the best way to connect with your own culture is through seeking and talking with your family. Share stories with your parents and grandparents; they can give you an idea of where you truly come from,” junior Joshua Zambrano said.

Most importantly, it is key to be aware of the place your culture originates. The only way to truly get a taste of your roots is to visit the place where your family is from. If you have the chance, do not hesitate to visit that small town where your grandparents were born or that city where you spent your early years in.

In short, it is crucial to always remember one’s roots and origins. By exploring our ancestry and past, we can get a better idea of who we are and most importantly, we can learn to be thankful for what we have today.