GMAC Champion Lorenzo Cantarel Aims for Opportunity in Golf

Taking a deep look at the golf course, Cantarel shoots for hole-in-ones
On+his+own%2C+Lorenzo+Cantarel+competed+in+a+tournament+where+he+won+in+75+strokes%2C+three+strokes+below+par.+The+event+took+place+on+April+2%2C+2023+and+was+hosted+in+Coral+Springs.+
Courtesy of Lorenzo Cantarel
On his own, Lorenzo Cantarel competed in a tournament where he won in 75 strokes, three strokes below par. The event took place on April 2, 2023 and was hosted in Coral Springs.

Experimenting with different sports such as soccer, rugby and golf throughout his childhood, junior Lorenzo Cantarel has certainly experienced different sports atmospheres. However, through thick and thin, Cantarel savors the thrill of going under par and decided to pursue golf once he realized his potential.

Cantarel started playing golf when he was six years old. He started playing competitively at 11 years old. Golf came naturally to him; he was a ferocious competitor unlike in any other sport he tried, solidifying his choice. He attended Coral Gables Senior High for academic purposes, but he soon discovered that Gables boasted a golf team. Viewing the team as a raceway for success, Cantarel joined his freshman year.

“Since golf is primarily an individual sport, I always wanted to be part of a team, so finding out that there was a golf team presented a great opportunity for me. Also, I knew that being on the team would be a good thing for colleges to see, especially if I am successful,” junior Cantarel said.

Preparation for a tournament is based on several things. I like remembering and going through what I had done in previous times playing the same course to avoid making the same mistakes. I also take notes on most courses for future reference and to help me understand what types of shots I need to hit,”

— Lorenzo Cantarel

The Greater Miami Athletic Conference is a golf tournament between schools from across Miami such as Christopher Columbus and Palmetto Senior High. In order to qualify, Cantarel had to score highly during his regular season matches. Being the only invite-only tournament of the season, Cantarel was able to focus on his individual performance.

Cantarel received the support of both golf coaches at Gables, Mr. Nelson and Charlie, throughout the day and at practice early in the season. He also trained with his personal coach to strategize and focus on his mental game.

Visiting the course a week prior to his match, Cantarel knew the holes that were more challenging and which holes to play by ear. On Oct. 16, the tournament was held at the Redland Ranch Golf & Country Club. The Cavalier shot four birdies and four bogies to score on par, earning him a trophy and recognition as the first place champion.

“Winning GMAC was a really big moment for me as I proved to myself that I could compete against some of the best golfers around. The way the round went, I got off to a really fast start and had a big lead until the last few holes, I made some mistakes that caused me to only win by one shot. In the future I won’t make those mistakes. I was proud with the way I learned from them and still managed to win the tournament,” junior Cantarel said.

In a week’s time, Cantarel was already shooting again at golf districts. Compared to GMAC, it took him 81 strokes to complete the course at districts. He finished in a tie for eighth place at districts, out of 55 players.

“Qualifying to regionals after a difficult round for me was also a proud moment, since I showed that I didn’t need my best stuff to compete, unlike previous years, where I had to play my very best just to get a chance to qualify,” junior Cantarel said.

Through the lenses of Cantarel, a guarantee to face competition is what motivates him to continue playing the sport he loves. Having the ability to compete in high school allows him to prove the skills he has mastered with months of diligent practice.

“My dad was the one who pushed me to start playing golf as a child, so I was always motivated to try and beat him. Then I wanted to beat my friends and then my competitors. Competition overall is my favorite part of golf…whether it’s a high school match, a tournament, or simply a friendly competition among friends,” junior Cantarel said.

Always striving for improvement within the sport, golf holds a meaningful place in Cantarel’s heart. Fundamentally, it is a childhood passion that turned into reality through countless hours of dedication. Aspiring to continue down a path of golf, Cantarel intends to pursue golf as a Cavalier and beyond.

“My biggest goal at the moment is getting recruited and getting a scholarship at a D1 school. Later on, I hope to play professional golf but plan B is to stay within the sport, either as a coach, as part of media, or any of the many opportunities the sport has to offer,” junior Cantarel said.

Cantarels Boca Raton Tournament @8:00
Good luck to Cantarel at Ospery Point for his second Boca Raton tournament!