Spike it Up

Kelsy Pacheco - Sports Editor, Orestes Gonzalez - Photographer

The girls volleyball team is well on its way to another successful season. The team already got off to a good start by winning its second game against South Miami 3-0. Last year, the team went all the way to districts but didn’t win. Hopefully, the team can go all the way and win the whole title this year.

The girls team has also encountered a problem that every sport runs into each year – losing its seniors. Since the varsity team had many seniors, a lot of players were lost, leaving the veteran junior players from last year and any JV players that were chosen for varsity.

“We had a lot of seniors from last year leave, so four people from JV moved up to varsity already. We also have a freshman and a senior who are new to the team this year. All these new members help create a completely different team from last year, and hopefully with this new team, we’ll go past districts,” senior Francis Perez said.

To be the best, you have to put in the work, and that’s exactly what these girls are doing. Practice for them is from 2:40 to 5:00 every day after school. A typical practice usually consists of a team warm up and stretching and running a couple laps around the gym, then working on improving their skills with different drills such as hitting, passing and setting. At the end of practice, the team has a scrimmage.

“I do see a lot of potential [in the team]. We’re a group of girls who get along great and have good chemistry on the court,” team captain Lauren Perna said.

A game has already been played against Lourdes on Sept. 9, but you can see all the work that these girls have put into practice in action at their next game against Southwest on Sept. 11 right here at Gables. With all the new talent and skills, these girls are sure to go far this season.