Amy Coney Barrett- Perspectives on Both Sides of the Aisle

As elections near, the entire nation is awaiting Congress’s decision on whether Amy Coney Barrett will become the new Supreme Court justice.

Arianna Hoyos, Staff Writer

The first topic addressed during the presidential debate, which took place on Sept. 29, was whether Amy Coney Barrett, the current Supreme Justice nominee would be a satisfactory replacement in the Supreme Court. Due to the tragic death of the late justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, there is now a vacant spot on the Supreme Court bench. This has left Americans wondering if Congress will approve Barrett before the November elections and if so, whether or not she will reach the high standards a Supreme Court Justice is expected to meet. If she is appointed, this will mean different things for both Republicans and Democrats. Looking at her past accomplishments, standings, positions and opinions can help both the red and blue parties decide if she will be the right fit for our nation.

Barrett attended Rhodes College and Notre Dame Law School where she became a professor of law and taught for 15 years after earning her law degree. During the 1990s, she was a clerk for the late Judge Antonin Scalia and explained that he had an immeasurable influence on her life and career. “[Scalia’s] judicial philosophy is mine, too: a judge must apply the law as written. Judges are not policymakers and they must be resolute in setting aside any policy views they might hold,” Barret explained. In her later years, she was appointed by President Trump in 2017 to the seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and has served there since then.

While Barrett has not yet publicly addressed her opinion regarding current issues the nation is facing, her ideologies may be predicted from her actions and beliefs in her previous years of practice. A devout Catholic, Barrett’s ideas on abortion and the subject of Roe v. Wade is a significant matter among both political parties. While working at Notre Dame, Barrett was quoted in one of the school newspapers articles where she explained that life begins at conception. This belief may still remain and if appointed, she will most likely vote against abortion laws currently in place. As a republican nominee, Barrett’s supposed view on the Affordable Care Act is that it should be repealed and replaced by a cheaper and better option. If appointed, this could possibly be the end of the current healthcare laws that Barrett has shown disliking towards in the past.

“I like that she supports and fights for the second amendment. I do not think that congress should stall her appointment because it is within the President’s power to appoint a new justice before the term ends. I believe that Amy will be an excellent justice. However, I do not believe that she will replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s legacy,” sophomore Marcos Algeciras said.

These inferenced opinions that have been deduced from her overall career only make up a small part of the subjects she will address if she does fill a seat on the bench. Her short three-year period in the Circuit Court of Appeals has given her little time to make any large distinct decisions and leave both the left-wing and the right-wing wondering what her stance on other matters are.

Here is a shortlist of some of the major perspectives regarding Barrett’s appointment:

Republican Perspective:

• Roe v. Wade may be overturned.
  • The Affordable Care Act may be terminated and replaced by other laws and programs.
  • Republicans will hold a large majority on the Supreme Court bench (6-3).

Democrat Perspective:

• The short amount of time she has spent in a court of law leaves much of her opinions still uncovered. Many republican nominees in the past are noted for having voted more liberally than expected.
  • Matters such as Roe v. Wade and the Affordable Care Act that are supported by the Democratic party may be repealed and overturned.
  • Democrats will only have three justices on the Supreme Court bench.
  • In 2016, Obama was blocked by Mitch Mcconnell and other Republican senators from appointing a justice 9 months before his presidency, because “the American people should have a say”, yet are encouraging her appointment by Trump right before this election.

“Barrett is obviously very intelligent and accomplished, but her lack of support for other’s rights in the name of her religion is something I do not agree with. Her appointment would make the Supreme Court 6-3 majority conservative, and with the possible repealing of Roe v. Wade, this could be really scary for women who might need an abortion and are no longer being provided legal and safe ways to go about such,” sophomore Leah Ullman said.

Barrett undoubtedly has experience in law, but may not have much experience serving in court as a justice which leaves people wondering if she is even qualified enough. Being 48 if appointed, she will most likely serve for more than two decades- close to an entire generation. Her appointment will mean that she will have a say in many matters for a long time to come. If appointed, she will become the fifth woman to serve on the court, making history as most women in politics do. America can only hope for what they believe is best for the country and if she is appointed, have faith that she will serve the people. [powr-twitter-feed id=747b91c2_1603944774619]