Open House- Parents Become Students for One Eventful Night

Biology teacher Eric Molina introduces parents to his classroom structure.

Andres Velasco

Andres Velasco

Maia Berthier, Staff Writer

Wednesday, Oct. 3 was the annual open house event for all parents and students. Parents had an opportunity to get to know all of their children’s teachers and the classroom environment that they are in every day. The parents visited each of the student’s classes, where the teachers gave a presentation regarding their curriculum and goals for their students this year and addressed any concerns the parents may have had.

“I think that [the parents] get to experience what their child experiences in transitioning from class to class, so they get a feel of what it is like to have five minutes in between to rush to each class. They become familiar with the school, meet the teachers and become familiar with the course content,” French teacher Madame Garcia said.

As the parents were switching classes, the Gablettes sold snacks and refreshments to raise money for the program; their lemonade was a big hit with many of the people who attended. The highlights members passed out their first issue of the year, and the Yearbook staff rushed around the halls, asking parents and students to pre-order their very own copy of the Yearbook.

Everyone who attended got to experience a day in the life of their Cavalier children. The hallways were filled with a flurry of frazzled parents reminiscing about their very own high school days. The teachers welcomed all of the parents with open arms, and chemistry teacher Ms. Kiely even offered a plate of cookies to them.

“It was a really frantic experience because we had to move east to west, north to south, and we were definitely very tired once it was all over,” parent Sylvain Mazloum said.

This year’s open house was a first for many parents, and it was a good experience for all those who attended. It is not every day that they have the chance to fill their children’s shoes, but when they do, things get interesting.

Maia Berthier, Staff Writer

Maïa Berthier is a freshman in the International Baccalaureate program at Coral Gables Senior High. This is her first year in CavsConnect, and she is aiming to improve her writing skills as she progresses. She hopes to start off her time at Gables by keeping a high grade point average throughout the year. Something else that is important to her is becoming involved in the many clubs and sports Gables has to offer, such as the International Baccalaureate Honor Society (IBHS) or cross country.  In her free time, she likes to dance, run, do yoga and read, as well as spending time with family and friends.

Andres Velasco, Multi-Media Editor

Andres Velasco is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Gables. During his final year in CavsConnect,  he hopes to not only improve his photography skills but also help the rest of the photographers as he takes on the role of Multi-Media editor. Described by his friends as funny, spontaneous, sarcastic and aesthetically pleasing, Andres is an England aficionado; he hopes to live there at some point in his life. Andres is an avid member of both International Baccalaureate Honor Society (IBHS) and Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). Outside of school, he is the President for The Museum Project, where he also takes pictures. In his free time, Andres enjoys playing with dogs, watching comedy specials, and taking pictures of his friends. His philosophy, for both life and photography, is that there is beauty everywhere but it just needs to be found. Andres is excited about the countless unforgettable memories he will be making this 2018-2019 school year.