First Day Back Brings Changes

Seniors+posed+around+the+decorated+outer+hallways+with+their+crowns+held+high.+

Kelsy Pacheco

Seniors posed around the decorated outer hallways with their crowns held high.

Natalia Clement, Editor

As hordes of students buzzed around the busy campus on August 18, 2014, a new school year began. Freshmen were confused and anxious to start their high school journeys, while seniors owned the campus on their opening day with the symbol of superiority worn on their heads. The Gablettes and faculty were scattered about, ready to assist in making the chaos of the first day back, a bit more controlled.

“During the first week of school we [The Gablettes] have to come in earlier, dressed up in different uniforms our coach assigns us to. This morning we needed to stand in specific areas and help freshmen find the places they had to go to, ” sophomore Gablette Riley Flores said. 

Freshmen weren’t the only ones lost on the first day of school. With last year’s change in room numbers, even upperclassmen had to take a casual glance at the new map. The confusion of no longer referring to the halls by the hundreds may push sophomores and juniors to learn the new numbers, whereas most of the seniors won’t even bother.

“It’s a little confusing getting around school. I got a bit lost in the morning and didn’t ask any upperclassmen for help, but I ended up finding my way,” freshman Grace Lawhorn said.

Fortunately, technology at Gables received an upgrade over the break, with the goal of improving learning productivity. During the summer, when school was far from our minds as we relaxed on the beach, Promethean boards were installed in every classroom. Most innovative teachers are eager to start using them, with a higher quality teaching tool at their finger tips. However, the upperclassmen might envy the freshmen for receiving the new HP tablets.

“I think this year is going to be fabulous. We have the new Promethean boards that we are all learning how to use. The ninth graders are using tablets that they’ll be able to take home. The new technology is also going to be really fun. Overall I think it’s going to be a great year and I’m really looking forward to it,” Ms. Cosgrove said.

The day, although full of the usual first day complexities, served as a jump-start to the 2014-2015 school year. With new technology and new students, Gables is expected to have an action-packed year.