Facing the Hightides, the Cavaliers Prevail in a Shootout

Putting the soccer ball in the net, Gables won by a score of 7 to 6.
Freshman+and+future+star+Brooke+Lawson+passes+the+ball+to+her+teammate+while+narrowly+dodging+the+defense.+
Gigi Porro
Freshman and future star Brooke Lawson passes the ball to her teammate while narrowly dodging the defense.

In a high scoring affair, the Cavaliers prevailed with the help of a powerful offense and resilient players. On Nov. 28, the Coral Gables Senior High girls varsity soccer team played their fifth game of the season against Miami Beach Senior High at home.

The game started at 3:30 p.m., after school. It was a cooler day than normal. Feeling fresh and motivated, the girls’ mindset was enough to warm themselves up at game time.

“I was nervous, but I believe in my team, and I knew we could win. We were just going to step on the field and give it our all,” sophomore Emma Velazquez said.

The referee’s whistle blew, and both teams pounced to take control of the ball. Distributing the ball across the field, the Cavaliers patiently weaved through the High Tide defense for an opportunity to score. Sophomore Brooke Lawson took control in the opening minutes and powered through the back line.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by CavsConnect (@cavsconnect)

She scored a goal that bypassed the goalie which was followed by cheers from the bleachers and handshakes between teammates. Lawson also managed to score the second banger of the afternoon after a meticulous pass from sophomore and captain Paz Chico.

“Scoring a goal is such a good feeling, because I know we have the advantage, and it gives the team more confidence, which improves how we play. Overall, it’s a really great feeling,” sophomore Brooke Lawson said.

The game progressed in the first half with the high-powered offenses going at it. The High Tides scored plenty of goals to counter the Cavaliers. By halftime, Lawson has surpassed a hat-trick, and Gables held the lead of 4 to 2.

“I feel like we could have done better at stopping them from scoring but at the same time, our goalie is new, and I think that if we learn from our mistakes, we’ll improve as a team,” sophomore Lawson said.

Devising better game plans for the second half, both teams wanted to start off fast. The High Tides achieved this goal in the third quarter, scoring three more goals to advance the score to 5 to 4 in favor of the High Tides. Chico, demonstrating the team’s communication lines, made several passes through and around High Tides to her teammates. In the same quarter, she was awarded with her own goal.

During the pinnacle of the match, Chico would score another goal, the 11th combined goal of the afternoon to place the Cavaliers ahead of their opponents. In response, Miami Beach secured one score, tying the match at 6.

The Lady Cavs’ Game Against High Tides

The noises were hushed when the referees called a foul inside the penalty box. Within the final minutes, Chico was awarded one penalty kick to potentially seal the game. On the edge of their seats, Chico approached the ball and blasted it into the net. Her teammates and coaches stormed the field.

“I was really proud of myself, because I megged the goalie, meaning it went through their legs, so it was a really good penalty. I obviously wanted to score more, but I was still satisfied with that penalty, which was also my first penalty of the season,” sophomore Chico said.

Comin out on top, the match ended with a score of 7 to 6 with the Cavaliers over the High Tides. Although some players were upset that they conceded six goals, they were thrilled by the win.